another powder vs pellet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottNM

Reaction score
So I have always used pellets. After reading a article, I am convinced more accuracy can be found in powder due to have more adjusting then just 30 or 50 gr increments. SO,

1. will blackhorn 209 be acceptable in my knight elite

2. This is something that does not make sense to me. It seems with the pellet it lands "nicely" against the breech plug allowing the fire hole complete cleaance during primer ignition. With powder it seems to me that it just falls INTO that area and who knows have it afffects the fire hole on the breech plug. AND it seems to me if I was hunting in OCT which I will, that moisture levels in the mountains will be high with dew etc. If condensation comes into the barrel in the field, it seems powder would be more susceptable to "picking it up" as it is being dumped down the barrel. Just trying to justify switching.

when I started out I bought one pack of pellets. I would never use them again. All you have to do is buy a cheap powder measure (mine was CVA) and I have a small 4 oz plastic bottle I keep powder in so I don't lug the 1lb around.

nothin to it.

I too shot pellets for several years. Switched to loose powder (T7) a few years ago and it was a big improvement in both accuracy and terminal performance on deer. Talk to most anyone who has switched and you'll hear a similar story. By no means do pellets "suck" or anything like that, but loose powder just does a better job, IMO.

Try to get hold of a copy of the Maximizin" Your Muzzleloader dvd. In it Russell Lynch shows a close-up view of the breech plug on his Encore, and how the loose powder compresses nicely behind the breech plug after the bullet is seated. Also shows loose powder getting somewhat higher velocities, thru a chronograph. He makes a compelling case for the use of loose powder versus pellets, and sort of debunks the myth of pellets being more "convenient" to use. They're really not actually.

I had not used pellets in 4-5 years and was at the range with a campmate last season just before opening day. He was shooting an Encore and me an Omega. He liked my groups way better than his so asked me try his rig. I was shooting BH209 and he was shooting T7 pellets. It took me only 2 shots to feel that his 3 pellet load was the culprit. I still have some loose 3F T7 in my box so dumped 110 gr under his Powerbelt and proceeded to shoot just over 1" 3 shot group at 100 about 6" away from his 'groups'. He was impressed with the improvement but still uses pellets because even after seeing how easy it is to dump loose powder, he's nervous about it. :roll:
He knows his limitations and the potential and chooses what he's comfortable with so that's OK.

Latest posts

Back