Meg's #2 Range Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbasin

Reaction score
Well, after yesterdays snow storm we braved the mud and Megan shot her new Wolverine today.
All shots were at 40 yards with 60 gr. of BH209. shooting either 250 gr. Barnes Expanders or 245 gr. Spitfire MZ's. Her muzzle velocity was 1350 FPS so, I think we'll stick with that amount for her hunt. She might still feel comfortable with 70 grs. but I don't want to push it.

IMG_0106.jpg

We were still adjusting the scope a little and today is her first day holding the rifle steady on her own. (no rifle cradle). We worked on cheek weld, breathing, trigger control and sight picture. The last shot of the day was that low shot...I knew it was coming because she told me "I'm getting tired, Dad"

IMG_0109-1.jpg

It seems to me that the touching holes were all Expanders, so I am going to stick with those for the next trip on Wednesday.

She did great
Excellent picture also.
Looks like she'll be ready :D :D

My two Wolverines (LK-93 & LK-II) both shoot the Barnes Expanders perfect with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. So it is no surprise that your daughter's rifle likes them also. Tell her nice shooting there.

I tried my LK-93 54cal today with the 45 260gr Scorpion Gold PT in a 45/54 and 80gr of BH209. The FPJ and Win209 primer handled it just fine and its a fairly soft shooter.

Im sure its no speed demon but the pointed bullet should help get a bit more range from the light load.

The Spitfires boattails can be a bit finicky and seem to like to be driven a bit harder. The 245gr might be fine but the 285gr Spitfire does need a bit of load tweaking in a 1-28 twist and/or more fps.

I like the Expander MZs or other Barnes loose bullets with a big hollow point for milder loads that still have great expansion. Accuracy seems great too with a wide variety of powder charges.

Thanks guys. Yea, I think she did fine with little experience and a new rifle.

BTW, I have used the Expanders on bears before and they worked fine. They're probably are a little easier opening than the more pointy spitfires, and do seem to fly better, at least with this charge. I also like the bigger face on them too...seem to really wack on impact. I read somewhere that they were designed to open-up all the way down to 1000fps which is what we'll need with a 1350 fps speed at the muzzle.

Also, we went to 70 grs. yesterday for a few shots at Meg's urging but within a few shots she wanted it reduced back to 60 gr. lol

Stock breech plug...I believe that there is only one plug for these youth rifles it's a different size than the adult because the barrel is a different diameter. Please correct me if I am wrong. Blowback is minimal....about the same as my Bighorn or Wolverine.

Oh sorry, I forgot. It also came with a non FPJ plug that we're not using, because I think it would be a PIA with a low scope.

Latest posts

Back