Knight Rifles needs your input....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knight rifles

I only have one Knight, "Long Range Hunter 50cal", it is a tack driver. Here are the changes I would like to see though.

1). BH209 friendly BP.
2). Less Blow Back around Primer!!
3). A twist to stabalize the longer bullets available today, possibly 1-24"

I really like this thread it make me happy to think about the possibilities of what may come from the future of Knight Rifles.

There are lots of good ideas posted above and the only thing like to add is that I need a lighter weight muzz. with a 22in barrel. I'm thinking 6.5 lbs. would be about right. The 1-24 option would be nice on this model, too.

Stick with your bolt rifle. Lose the plastic stock and go with a wood Monte Carlo Remington 700 type. It will fit more guys than the one you produced. Absolutely LOSE the secondary safety! It looks like a childs .22 single shot from the 1930's. Since you guys were known for the offbeat, bring one out in .40 cal so it can shoot some proprietary .375x .40 saboted bullets.

Mountainam

I know there are folks that do not like the secondary safety, but I really do. It really makes it nice and easy to take down the bolt. No other tools needed. And if you are a high stand hunter it really is a good ideal to set the secondary safety when hoisting the gun. Yes, I know you could remove the primer also but I really like the secondary safety. It also is useful when navigating rugged country.

But the biggest reason remains it really is handy to disassemble the bolt.

I also like the option of using the FPJ, especially while hunting. It does get awful cold in some places and handling the FPJ is somewhat easier than handling a bare 209.

sabotloader said:
I know there are folks that do not like the secondary safety, but I really do. It really makes it nice and easy to take down the bolt. No other tools needed. And if you are a high stand hunter it really is a good ideal to set the secondary safety when hoisting the gun. Yes, I know you could remove the primer also but I really like the secondary safety. It also is useful when navigating rugged country.

But the biggest reason remains it really is handy to disassemble the bolt.

I also like the option of using the FPJ, especially while hunting. It does get awful cold in some places and handling the FPJ is somewhat easier than handling a bare 209.

Good points, and I like the FPJ's, too.
However, a plunger gun could have a fixed knob that's not a secondary safety and I would be good news to me. I usually back mine out, sometimes with some tape or loc-tite to keep it from moving on me. That second safety cost me more than one shot on game.

I beleive that you will find the reasoning for the secondary saftey is to remove liability from the fully adjustable trigger they offered. It is possible to lighten the pull so much that is could go off with very little movement. I vote to keep it.

As long as we're wishing.... I would like Knight to build a Disc Supreme.

Recipe for Disc Supreme:
-start with a .45 Disc Elite
-get rid of the FPJ
-put a better synthetic stock on it
-make it smokeless capable.

I would glady pay the extra money. I call dibs on the first one!

The KP1 is the only knight i ever liked, and i was think about getting one .

Wood stock, classic bolt rifle looks. While we are dreaming, 1 or 2 American Made production traditional rifles to compete with TC.

UtahRob said:
The KP1 is the only knight i ever liked, and i was think about getting one .

My KP1 is a great rifle. All trigger bugs worked out....has new trigger assembly...
Breach plug has been changed to the original and NOOOOO blow back!! I give it the white Q-Tip test and get NO blowback at all.

If you get a KP1, You will find them extremely accurate.

rjhans53 said:
hmmm, KP1, I do believe they are going to drop it like a hot tator. I got one, trigger is as bad as any mauser I've ever pulled, 3/8 creep and once you get that took up, decent probably 3 # or so, it's a shame the original that they copied had a adjustable trigger on it. For the reason I got it, it works, converted a 45-70 to a ML, that's the only barrel the thing goes bang on every time, the 444 and the 223 probably have 20% misfires. The hammer top safety, slams forward everytime I pull the trigger (so I've got it taped back), yes I've been told I should send it back in, but I can't get "Branch" to return my calls. They break down great, have a decent fit/finish to them but the market that it is competing with is already held by TC and CVA is making a run at it, I believe it would not be a money making deal and that's what knight is going to need right now.

My KP1 has a very nice trigger, if yours isnt to your liking they will make it right just let them know. As far as the market for break actions $400-500 vs $ 800-900 there's the market they just need to make it solid! They were hoping it would save their butt and released it before the bugs were worked out, had to send mine in twice to get the trigger worked out.

Keep the following- KRB (but make it BH-209 compatible); Disc Extreme; Ultimate; LRH; Bighorn and KP-1
Dump the rest.....

I love the disc extreme, even though mine is .52 caliber. They need to support this caliber with sabots and a better selection of bullets. I'd also love to see them continue the Green Mountain 54 caliber. I was saving my pennies when Green Mountain dropped the offering.

I have three MK-85's that I shoot the simple old way with real BP and percussion caps. I have not had any problems with any of them, they've all been accurate, and have done exactly what I bought them for.

The only downside I ever had with Knight was with a couple of models that did not have an adjustable trigger. I think heading into the "bargain" market and losing that nice crisp trigger was a mistake. The Revolution that I bought really needed a pair of vice grips to make it go off. As a result, accuracy was so poor that I sold the monster rather than tinker with a non-adjustable trigger.

Now, no matter what brand smokepole I would own, I would make durned sure that trigger is adjustable. Also, steer clear of plastic parts. I've never had a problem with them...even in the cold temps here in Michigan's season, but they just detract from the sense of quality.

Most other suggestions here seem legit as well, but I can live without Blackhorn, although the majority seems to want it.

My two cents.

I agree that a good trigger was always one of what I thought was knights big ++++. I really remembered that today when I finally broke my extreeme out to test the lehigh gen II plug.

I really love my Knight Disc extreme 50 cal. I don't mind the full plastic disc either. Always thought of them easy to put in with cold fingers. I think Knight should reenter the market with top quality rifles and let CVA and others have the cheap junk market. Cheap rifles of poor quality have no interest to me, that is why I bought the Dis extreme, it's the best.

Rat apparently hasnt fondled the new cva's. The Apex is one hell of a rifle for around $500. And comes with an adjustable trigger :wink:

Knight would be wise to offer a quality break action like the Accura and Apex. There is nothing cheap about a Bergara barrel or the standard trigger on many the newer CVA lineup. Ed Shilen ring any bells? He helped develop the new Bergara barrels for CVA and the others are made in the same factory now.

Sounds like more RW double standard talk too me.

Price it in the same price range and they would sell. Most of the previous Knight break actions missed the mark compared to other Knights and even some newer CVAs.

BTW calling others choice of rifle "junk" is plain rude and better left to the few Harley riders that think there is no other bike. Ive proven many wrong when it came time for pinks. ;)

I just visited the new Knight website. $13.99 for a pack of 100 full plastic jackets. If they are going to treat the loyal Knight customers like that they are not going to sell us many new guns!!!! That's all I got to say about that.
Art

Latest posts

Back