xtp vs xtp mag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakesdad

Reaction score
I've always wondered what is the difference in the hornady xtp and the hornady xtp mags?If both bullets are .452 300 grain would they not shoot pretty much the same?Maybe this is a stupid ? and may have been brought up before,but i was just curious.thanks.

Look into the hollow point . The mag bullets have copper going into the HP , the non-mag does not . The mag bullet is a lot tougher . I did not have any 45 cal non mags the one on the left is a .44 cal . But you can see the difference . The non mag ( left ) is going to expand a lot faster . I have always used the non mag for deer and the mag for elk . But some have had bad results so , i am going to use the gold dots for hunting and the Xtp's for paper, being they are cheaper than th GD and the .452 XTP and .452 GD both in 300 grains shoot the same in my Encore .

xtpmagnonmagDSCN0340.jpg

golddotxtptestDSCN0330.jpg

as you can see i have plenty of the XTP s in the mag .
bulletsstockDSCN0344.jpg

I have used both on game and did well. This year i think im going to use the Mag, i got a llittle better results with those. I was not getting full penetration with the non mags. I did not recover the mag bullet so i did not see how it mushroomed, but it left about a quarter size hole upon exit.

I shot a small Mule deer buck this year with a 300 grain non-mag . the bullet went trough both shoulder blades at 150 yards . I though for sure the bullet would have stopped in the far shoulder at that range :shock: The exit hole was barely bigger that the entrance and that was using the non-mags . I was hoping to recover a bullet . I have shot two deer with the xtp non- mags and my son and a friend have shot two Bull Elk with the Mags .. My two deer and my sons elk dropped and never moved . a friends Elk ran 30 yards with a double lung shot . So we have had good results but none of the exit holes were very big or have we recovered a bullet . BUT THEY DID THE JOB !! But if i can use one bullet for both , like the gold dots, i will go that route instead of using the non-mags for deer and the mag for elk . i just don't trust the mags for deer . but that just me .:oops: :roll:

UtahRob,are you saying the non-mags are better deer bullets than the mags?I'd say 99% of what i'll ever shoot with my muzzy will be deer,maybe someday i'll get after something else.the mags shoot well for me with 90 grs bh209 out of my disc extreme,so i guess i'll stick with them.Just wondering if you ever shot them together and how they faired accuracy wise with each other(same point of impact with same powder charge).seems the mags are much easier to find than the non mags and if i got the mags how much different they would shoot in comparision.thanks

jakesdad said:
UtahRob,are you saying the non-mags are better deer bullets than the mags?I'd say 99% of what i'll ever shoot with my muzzy will be deer,maybe someday i'll get after something else.the mags shoot well for me with 90 grs bh209 out of my disc extreme,so i guess i'll stick with them.Just wondering if you ever shot them together and how they faired accuracy wise with each other(same point of impact with same powder charge).seems the mags are much easier to find than the non mags and if i got the mags how much different they would shoot in comparision.thanks

The mag is a lot tougher built and just maybe ???? IMO too tough for deer . After i shot my little Muley and the non-mag XTP blew right through i was shocked .I now it was a long shot but the mag would have be worse .The bullet went through both shoulder blades dropping him , so it worked but like i said the exit hole was almost the same size . If i had been closer most likely the bullet would have mushroomed more . If i hand been too close the bullet May have blown apart . ??

L-R 250gr XTP, 240gr XTPmag, (the 300gr versions have the same construction) 300gr Speer Unicore, 300gr Speer Gold Dot, 300gr Speer .458

DSC00741.jpg

Al in Mi said:
L-R 250gr XTP, 240gr XTPmag, (the 300gr versions have the same construction) 300gr Speer Unicore, 300gr Speer Gold Dot, 300gr Speer .458

DSC00741.jpg
boy the copper is sure a lot thicker on the mag and Gold dot . :shock:

I wound up with 240 gr xtp mags in .452, will these work fine with 100 gr bh209 on deer, or will they not open up enough?

xtps

I will use mags on deer and yotes. I used 200 grain stpmags last year and had great penetration and expansion. I will use 250's and 300 hundreds this year and think I will get the same perforemance. I will use 95 to 110 (my current load) Grains of BH209.

Back