DISC Elite #10 @ the farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I was finally able to get out to the farm today to do some shooting. It was raining lightly but the time to go was now. Since Dinger Tom cleaned out one of the out buildings I am able to back the pickup in and under and set up under cover.

I went our with two objectives... 1. I had finished a NFPJ conversion using a Knight NFPJ domed breech plug. I was really hoping the conversion would reduce the amount of blow back. But, I really have no way of judging the before and after because I have never shot the Knight NFPJ before. But my immediate reaction right now is - dang! not anything to get excited about - Using a FPJ conversion is much cleaner even with used jackets...

Second objective... shoot this new gun... Grouse had suggested that I just leave it in the box and never shoot it... but man am I glad it did go shoot it. I took it out of the box mounted a Bushnell scope on it with Leupold bases and rings - bore sighted the gun. I also cleaned it - although there was not much to clean - i did not even run any JB's.

One other thing a forum member GM54-120 had sent me some Barnes 40/150 grain TAC's to shoot... He was wondering about velocity and accuracy. From what I saw at 40 yards - accuracy is there. I tried to recover some of them from the clay but was unable to find any of them in the mud + it was raining HARD... so I am going to assume they worked well like all Barnes copper bullets do.

I again, only shot my base load -> 110 grains T7-2f, Winchester T7 primer and stayed with the Harvester smooth blue sabot as they were the first 40 cal sabots that came out of the loading box.

The conversion was not really clean, although using the conversion and the Lehigh primer adapter no fouling or blow back reach rhe scope. The floor of the breech certainly was dirty as was the nose of the bolt - but I have seen it worse. After shot number 10 primers were hard to get out of the primer adaptor - they extracted just fine but fouling in the adaptor area made it difficult for them to slide out just by tipping the gun.

Here is a picture of part of my outing.....

2-16-10KDE45FirstTarget.jpg

Here are the velocities recorded from todays shooting....

2-16-10KDE45-Label.jpg

Cool thanks, they did hold upto a 100gr charge of BH209 in typical Barnes fashion at 15yards. It weighed 154gr after i dug it out of wet phone books.

Cant wait to see how well the Meister .406 260gr performs for you. My best from a sled was roughly .644" and the worst were under 1.25" at 100yards. I used 100gr BH209, CCI209M and Harvester Smooth 40/45 sabots.

:yeah:

GM54-120

Those little Barnes were cool... They shot great - they would be great for shooting the eyes at night...

But seriously - Hunting yotes with them would be awesome....

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

Those little Barnes were cool... They shot great - they would be great for shooting the eyes at night...

Killing yotes at night was the plan. :D

I just wasnt sure how accurate they were since i was focusing on the hardcast that day and GMB54-120 terminal performance with medium loads.

Well shoot! I just tore the gun apart to start cleaning it... You know the breech area and bolt really were not that bad. No hard compacted carbon fouling as I expected at all. The was some caking on the face of the bolt but really that was it.

The fouling on the bolt just wipped off with a rag and when I pulled the BP it was not bad at all either.

very interesting reading and nice post as usual sabotloader.in my very limited shooting with the 1/20 super-disc the 200g lehigh's have won in the accuracy department followed by 195g barnes and 200g sst's.I am surprized the NFPJ was'nt as clean as the FPJ setup,the opposite is true for me.any idea's for the velocity increase with the xtp's....karl

k

any idea's for the velocity increase with the xtp's

Ya karl, I am pretty sure it was my fault... By the time I have got back to the 200 Lehighs - the barrel was fairly warm - i am not a patient person so I am sure that is the difference between the velocities of the 200 XTP's and the 200 Lehigh's...

jsteurrys

Ya! I was wishing I had taken one with me today... but, I really want a permanent answer to the problem and I think it is out there....

What I am thinking about doing now is taking the Knight NFPJ in to the machine shop and see if Dave can put it in the lathe and turn the current primer bench out for a given distance and then build me an INSERT IGNORE that I can put in the stem. If I get the distance right you should be able to use it to stop blow-back - and if I do it right I think it can be made to work with all the different primers fairly well...

How about a fine threaded "primer holding insert" with a knurled head that screws into the rear of the breech plug. Then you could adjust it in and out as desired.

Semisane said:
How about a fine threaded "primer holding insert" with a knurled head that screws into the rear of the breech plug. Then you could adjust it in and out as desired.

Someone did make a "head spacing" adjustable primer holder if i remember for a NFPJ style plug. he may have used a 25 or 32ACP case though....i forgot

Semi

OK you have my attention... In a way I have that very application with a Rem 700 ML... The Breech Plug and Nipple are sparate... You could easily INSERT IGNORE the BP in snug as it should be - then screw the nipple in or out to reach the desired length for the primer you are using... but I went the other direction because of my phobia about loose screws - I made the correction in the face of the bolt...

Gotta to give all this up and start shooting PRB's - Rondy's are just around the corner...

Make the threaded INSERT IGNORE long enough that you could install a thin jam nut on it. Screw the INSERT IGNORE in until you have the spacing you need then snug up the jam nut to hold it in place.

DC

Semi

Right now I would settle for a washer that might fit in there - but I do not know if I could find any that small...

Even thought about punching some out of teflon - but then again might as well use an 'O' ring...

A thin metal washer would be the place to start... wonder where to start looking for one that small?

I just put one of Jim's (jsteurrys) #5-193 "O" rings in the BP and it would/will solve a lot of the problem but still it is not permanent...

Might put this BP in the other 45 and head to farm again later this week...

Semi

I will check that out today @ my local ACE - need a good excuse to go there any way.... They also have a large Gun department there....

GM54-120 said:
sabotloader said:
GM54-120

Killing yotes at night was the plan. :D

I just wasnt sure how accurate they were since i was focusing on the hardcast that day and GMB54-120 terminal performance with medium loads.

If I can find these anywhere I'd like to try them on some coyotes. Can't seem to locate any though. It's a .400 Sierra Sportsman 135gr JHP.

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm? ... llettype=1

This next Chapter is all Semi's Fault....

I was ready to move on to breaking out the Renegade and getting some PRB shooting in.... buuuut, Semi suggested and idea so off to TriState hardware i went. Took my Knight NFPJ with me and wound up in the loose nuts and bolts department...!

Semi you were right they did have 1 - 2 - 3 & 4 stainless washer on hand... #4 was way to big, #3 would sit on the top of the 209 well but would not go down in... #2's would go down the well a short distance and #1's would drop to the bottom and rattle around.

I picked out some #3's and #2's and laid then on the counter. They all seemed to be very uniform in diameter and the hole in the middle seemed to be very uniform, but the thickness of each was could and did vary. I picked out 4 of each. Then I thought about how was I going to turn the diameter down to provide a snug fit on the existing primer shelf. I decided to pick up a #3 &#2 machine screw and nut so that I could snug the nut up on a washer placed on the screw. Then chuck the screw into a drill and turn the whole works will running a file on the edge. I also slightly beveled the edges. Turn a little bit at a time and then i would INSERT IGNORE the washer down the tapered primer well. No time at all had it down.

After I inserted the washer, I tested all of the primers that I have except the Cheddite in the primer well. All of them bottomed on the washer, and yet had enough room for extraction. I then inserted each primer in the primer adapter and pushed that down and into the primer well... they all seemed to find the bottom.

Next test as soon as I get my grand daughter down for a nap - I will install the BP and adapter in a rifle and head to the garage and touch all the primers off and see if I get a seal that way. I have different thickness washers if I need a little more or a little less seat. If that works - back to farm...

Here are the different materials....

Thescene.jpg

Completed

NFPJModification-label.jpg

Latest posts

Back