Knight LRH floating stock help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowbender6

Reaction score
My wife bought me a Knight long-range Hunter thumbhole stock from Cabelas this summer when they had them on sale for $400. I am now playing around with it and noticed that the stock is touching the barrel. I have searched some of the posts on this forum and it seems that the stock can either be floated or touching. My hunting buddy has a long-range Hunter and his is floating. I know I can try it both ways and I have several muzzleloaders already sighted in for the season. I thought I also read somewhere that it was set up to put pressure on the barrel. I would like to try it floating. Does anyone know if there's an adjustment or how to set that up so that it doesn't touch. Thanks

bowbender6

LRH.... as i remember and I not sure - but on the rear of the reciever there is suppose to be a 'Y' shape clamp that is suppose to pull down on the back of the reciever down to provide the floating barrel...

It is part #CCI, and the rear trigger guard screw is the adjustment. They do not show you what the part looks like here but it does give you an idea where it is at....

KnightLRH.jpg

What Sabotloader said!

I have seen some of these rifles in shops where the clamp was under the tang, rather than over it as designed. If the clamp is under the tang, it would actually be counter-productive in floating the barrel.

See if this back screw is tight and the barreled action is setting down in the stock properly.

Thanks - I already checked the tang a and clamp- it is the same as my buddy's and his barrel is floating. I think I will give Knight a call.

It sounds like you need to get out some sandpaper and a deep socket.

Thats what it seems like. Apiece of paper will clear the barrel a little farther back. I didn't want to sand it before I tried to figure out if somthng else was wrong. I could probably bed th stock, but it seems like this design is set up to float the barrlel. The I though I read somewhere i was to put pressure on the barrel. Still check this out.

LRH

My LRH has the barrel touching the stock also. I tried messing with the tang on the rear to no avail. It rubs on one side of the barrel, not on the bottom of the barrel. I contacted knoght about the issue. The tech i talked to said it was NOT supposed to be a free floating barrel. I feel that it would help accuracy if it was. I have not tried to float the barrel on mine as I dont like hacking on a nice gun. If you get anything figured out with yours, let me know! I thought about glass bedding mine as the was a short article on doing it to this rifle in the October issue of the Whitetail Journal. The article was to brief for me to want to tear into mine though, but I'm pondering the idea.

fisher2072- my thougts excaclty - I called Knight - they guy i talked with said he does all the shooting there - He said does it group
, then don't worrry shoot it either way. He said losen the fron screw and tighten the back - I haven't tried it yet - I may end up up bedding the reciever and floating the barrel. I was kind of dissapointed because I thought this stock had those features

LRH

I tried loosening the front screw and tightening up the rear, but to no availI on mine. The barrel rubs on the side of the stock so adjusting the screws didn't help. I'm messing with it today, so imight dig out some sandpaper and see what I can come up with.

Help...

If someone could get a picture of how the CCI parts hooks to your LRH receiver and post it - I sure would appreciate it.

thanks

The tang is longer on the LRH than on the Extremes. The CC1 will not work on Extremes. I looked into it already. Use some sandpaper to fix any minor contact.

LRH

Well, about an hour and a half today of losening and tightening the screws and using some 80 & 120grit below the barrel and she is clear. The barrel channel on the stock had a few lumps and flat spots in it, thas where the contact would occur. I'd get one are sanded down, then another area would contact, finally got it done though. Probably wont get to shoot it for another week. I've got a Kansas any season deer tag and need to get over and get set up on some strip pits before the rifle opener on Dec 2nd. Kind of a last minute deal, but I think I scored some access to 1000 acres of private pits. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Latest posts

Back