Question... Elite Recoil Lug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
This is a picture(s) of the Knight Elite recoil lug.

45caldiscElite001.jpg

45caldiscElite007.jpg

I am trying to figure out the advantages of this lug vs the lug on the Extreme, since i do not have an Elite i asked Tom to take some photos of the lug. There is no difference in the stock for the Elite/Extreme.

After reading Wayles post on the 'second action skrew' - i am wondering more about the 'Elite Lug" I am actually thinking i can recreate the 'forked' portion of the lug, or close to it, to apply to the Extreme.

What -why are the advantages of the 'Forked' recoil lug. What is the general toughts?????

One thing I noticed on my Elite is that as I tighten the stock screw it actually lifts the barrel up and away from the stock. I don't have an Extreme but the MK85 and Wolverine 209 that I have does not do that.

Maybe the greater surface area of the forked lug was suppose to help in some way. When I first took the rifle apart, I was expecting to see a forked channel in the stock, but it does not.

I have wondered, that if it enhanced accuracy, why was is not adapted to the Extreme and LRH?

Reese

One thing I noticed on my Elite is that as I tighten the stock screw it actually lifts the barrel up and away from the stock.

Thanks Reese... I have heard that mentioned before...

and I was wrong about the stock - they are not interchangeable.. One poster tells me the stock is routed out differently to allow the fork...

Now my question is What does the floor of the stock, where the recoil lug sits look like is it tapered/slanted to allow you to pull the rear portion of the recoil lug down while the lugs are sitting on sme sort of taper. I can see where this ould force the barrel up and the back of the action down in to the stock... with only one action screw this might be the way to get it the whole thing sitting in the stock more firmly.

I will try to remember to look at the stock tonight. From memory, I thought it looked flat, no radical taper for sure.

sabotloader said:
Reese

One thing I noticed on my Elite is that as I tighten the stock screw it actually lifts the barrel up and away from the stock.

Thanks Reese... I have heard that mentioned before...

and I was wrong about the stock - they are not interchangeable.. One poster tells me the stock is routed out differently to allow the fork...

Now my question is What does the floor of the stock, where the recoil lug sits look like is it tapered/slanted to allow you to pull the rear portion of the recoil lug down while the lugs are sitting on sme sort of taper. I can see where this ould force the barrel up and the back of the action down in to the stock... with only one action screw this might be the way to get it the whole thing sitting in the stock more firmly.

Sabotloader,

The Elite stock is the same exact stock as the one on your Extreme MHC, EXACTLY! The Elite stocks can be and were used for the Extreme MHC's that we got. I have 3 MHC's and 1 Elite, ALL have the larger inlet for the forked lug of the Elite, but also work on the Extreme. Now with that said, there are other Extreme stocks that are not interchangable with the Elite, they only have the small rectangular inlet in them, I also have one of those, this one will only allow the Extreme/MHC lug to fit.

So, to answer your question, your MHC stock IS the Elite stock. I think Knight had a bunch of the Elite stocks left over, a bunch of the MHC barrels that were either not selling or not quite up to standards for the Master Hunters, and just deceided to marry the two to get rid of some inventory. (just a SWAG)

If you guys want some pictures, I might be able to do that later.

Busta

The Elite stock is the same exact stock as the one on your Extreme MHC, EXACTLY! The Elite stocks can be and were used for the Extreme MHC's that we got. I have 3 MHC's and 1 Elite. Now with that said, there are other Extreme stocks that are not interchangable with the Elite, they only have the small rectangular inlet in them, I also have one of those.

At one time that is exactly what i believed... thanks for the re-inforcement...

So, to answer your question, your MHC stock IS the Elite stock. I think Knight had a bunch of the Elite stocks left over, a bunch of the MHC barrels that were either not selling or not quite up to standards for the Master Hunters, and just deceided to marry the two to get rid of some inventory. (just a SWAG)

I totally agree with this... and i think i have thought of an easy way to create the effect that the Elite forked recoil lug does.

Would you confirm as you tighten the Elite action screw that it pulls the action down and somewhat lifts the barrel off the stock... if it is doing this it also is tightening the rear tang of the reciever against the stock - which in effect tightens the whole action into and against the stock...

Sabotloader,

Would you confirm as you tighten the Elite action screw that it pulls the action down and somewhat lifts the barrel off the stock... if it is doing this it also is tightening the rear tang of the reciever against the stock - which in effect tightens the whole action into and against the stock...

I would concur with what reese posted previously, completely. Yes, I would say it does exactly what you have described above in the quote. i would say the forked lug actually was designed as a lever to apply downward pressure in the receiver area, while free floating the barrel.

Busta that is interesting that your stocks from Fin Feather Fur fit the elite. I bought my mhc barrelled extreme at roughly the same time as you and mine has the rectangular slot that the elite will not fit into. They must have just put parts together somewhat at random.
Art

I would concur with what reese posted previously, completely. Yes, I would say it does exactly what you have described above in the quote. i would say the forked lug actually was designed as a lever to apply downward pressure in the receiver area, while free floating the barrel.

I have searched all morning for that word... Lever... and i agree that is what i THINK does also... Now I have a new for my vocabulary 'shill' and a re-newed word I haven't used since teaching a VoAg course several years ago 'Lever' one of the most important simple tools.

I am in Kennewick right now but I am pretty sure that I have a great gadget to use as a 'lever' for the existing Extreme recoil lug in the wood shop at home and it is cheap... and if i had a scroll saw it would be easy...

Oops, time for a confession. I just went out and took the stocks off both guns and I'll be darned if they aren't both the same. Sorry for my confusion.
Art

sabotloader said:

I have searched all morning for that word... Lever... and i agree that is what i THINK does

Thats why they call it a "cantilevered" lug.

Sabotloader,

Spit is right, that is why they call it the cantilevered forked recoil lug. :lol:

Here are a couple more pics of the lug and one of the stocks.

019.jpg

021.jpg

022-1.jpg

From left to right: Disc Extreme MHC, Disc Elite, Camo Disc Extreme (older one). The older D.I.S.C. barreled actions also fit in all of these stocks.
025.jpg

The Disc Extremes would probably benefit from a bedding job around the recoil lug in those Elite (capable) stocks with that massive inletting.

Latest posts

Back