I GOT HIM! **Pics & Story**

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
As some of you know I've been after a particular hog for about a month now. I've got a lot of trail camera pictures of him but he was only coming after dark. I changed the settings on my feeder like I did for the last big nocturnal boar I took and it worked like a charm. For the last several days I've gotten pictures of him coming out around 3PM and 6:30PM. So I took to the blind about 6PM yesterday in hopes that he would show himself.

Here's some trail cam pics I have of him...

CDY_0010.jpg

CDY_0003.jpg

And the morning before I took him...

OkatieBoar090712.jpg

It was nice and hot in the blind but I really couldn't complain because the mosquitoes weren't out. I donned my all black hood and gloves and settled in. About 20 minutes after entering the blind I had 3 large boars come out to feed. I checked them out and none of them were the one I was after. So I let them eat. About 10 minutes later the feeder went off and they blew out of there in all different directions. I figured I'd sit there until dark and see what happened. About 20 minutes later, here comes the boar I'm after. He came in from the left and even from 53 yards I instantly knew it was him. I could tell by his size and by the patch of spiky hair he has at the base of his neck. I quickly but quietly placed my rifle on my shooting sticks, picked a spot to focus in on, took a few deep breaths, and squeezed the trigger. BANG!!! I saw him take the hit through the smoke cloud that came from my Endeavor. He lifted his front legs of the ground and threw his head back. As soon as his front legs touched back down he took off into the thick brush.

I was hoping for a bang-flop but I've learned through experience that when hogs get this big you pretty much need a howitzer to bang-flop them. So I listened for a minute or two and could hear him crashing in the woods. As I did this, I quickly reloaded my Endeavor. Once I didn't hear any more activity, I started getting my stuff together. I went to the spot he was standing when I shot him and there was a decent blood spray on the ground. I had to walk about 10 feet in the direction he went to pick up on the trail.

Here's some pics of the blood trail and the way he went into the woods...

OkatieBoar0907121.jpg

OkatieBoar0907122.jpg

The deeper I went into the woods, the better the blood trail got. It was so thick I had to use my machete to cut a path into it...

OkatieBoar0907123.jpg

And finally, after about 50 yards, there he was...

OkatieBoar0907125.jpg

OkatieBoar0907124.jpg

I had made a perfect shot!

OkatieBoar0907127.jpg

This is where I jumped for joy at the fact that I had finally gotten the better of this brute! But that was quickly overcome by knowing I had to drag his big butt back the way I came. I'm glad I'm in good shape or I may have expired right there next to him. I was flat wore out by the time I got him back to my truck.

OkatieBoar09071218.jpg

OkatieBoar09071211.jpg

OkatieBoar09071212.jpg

He is definitely a bruiser of a hog. I feel very privelaged to have had the opportunity to harvest such a great animal. I loaded him up and was off to the skinning station...

OkatieBoar09071225.jpg

Once I opened him up I was in complete disbelief!... The shot had been perfect indeed and it had completely destroyed his lungs and heart. There was just dark red mush where his heart and lungs once were. It's just incredible to me that he could have run that far with such devastating damage done internally. I think I will name him SHERMAN because he is like a Sherman Tank! :D

Here's some shots of the wounds...

Entry
OkatieBoar09071227.jpg

Exit
OkatieBoar09071228.jpg

Entry
OkatieBoar09071229.jpg

Exit
OkatieBoar09071230.jpg

I am definitely please with the quality of this animal. I'm having a skull mount done of him so I can have a memento of this awesome experience. I am also very please in how well the Endeavor performed as well as the load.

My blind was set up exactly 53 yards (verified with a Nikon 550 Laser Range Finder) from the feeder. I was shooting my TC Encore Endeavor loaded with a 250g Barnes T-EZ with MMP HPH-12 sabot on top of 120g of Blackhorn 209 with a CCI 209M primer.

Cool story Spence... I must have rubbed that old TC the right way before I sold it to ya,,, looks like it's got some good mojo! 8)

flint head said:
Cool story Spence... I must have rubbed that old TC the right way before I sold it to ya,,, looks like it's got some good mojo! 8)

Thanks Mark! I'm definitely loving it! 8)

flint head said:

Why would you sell such a nice gun? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Nice shot and nice story SW :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :drinkers:

congradulation glad that u got him ,ur freezer must be full by now ??? i see the BARNES did it's job ..i see the fly's waste no time getting onto the hog ,

The freezers got to be about full of pork by now doesn't it? Great job!

black powder said:
congradulation glad that u got him ,ur freezer must be full by now ??? i see the BARNES did it's job ..i see the fly's waste no time getting onto the hog ,

Yeah, there were maggots on the head when I took it to the taxidermist today. :(

Critter said:
The freezers got to be about full of pork by now doesn't it? Great job!

Not really. I like to share my kills with my friends and co-workers. I usually keep the tenderloins, a backstrap and a ham. Plus, it allows me to go hunt them more often. :D The last big boar I shot was absolutely horrible to eat and I trashed most of it. The small female hog I shot a couple weeks ago is almost all gone. This one is soaking and if it turns out to be tough, Jim (gobbler getter) and I are going to grind it.

Batchief909 said:
Shoot 'em just below and behind the ears. Saves a bunch of tracking. 8)

Nah, I like good vital shots. It's good training for deer season. Plus, I kind of enjoy a good tracking job. And hauling them out of the woods is a good work out! :lol:

black powder said:
Batchief909 said:
Shoot 'em just below and behind the ears. Saves a bunch of tracking. 8)

if he did that the taxidermist would not be happy

HAHA! It's funny you say that... I told my taxidermist I wanted a skull mount and that was the first thing he said. "You didn't shoot it in the head did you?"

Here's some trail cam pics I have of him...

CDY_0010.jpg

Sherman in happier times. :lol:

OkatieBoar09071218.jpg

OkatieBoar09071211.jpg

OkatieBoar09071212.jpg

OkatieBoar09071225.jpg

Hey, Very nice trophy! What do you estimate the field dressed wt. to be? Will he be good to eat?

squirrelhawker said:
Hey, Very nice trophy! What do you estimate the field dressed wt. to be? Will he be good to eat?

I'm not exactly sure. I weighed him whole on our very inaccurate scale at the skinning station and he was right at 200. I don't have to field dress animals at this lease so I avoid it. Time will tell if he'll be good to eat. I'm going to let the meat sit on ice for several days and then give it a try.

THAT story makes me want to hunt piggies!!!

Just can't get into the 50 pounders, ya know?

Congrats Spencer....you worked for that hog... 8)

Spitpatch said:
THAT story makes me want to hunt piggies!!!

Just can't get into the 50 pounders, ya know?

Congrats Spencer....you worked for that hog... 8)

Thanks Spit! Is that all you guys have up there is 50 pounders?

Congrats on that big boy!! I'd bet a 500 gr. pure lead conical would anchor one of them DRT for sure. :wink:

+2 on cooling the meat. I don't even like venison straight out of the carcass, its much better after the body heat is gone. IMO

Nice story and pics thanks for sharing. That sure is a nice gun too :wink:

Congratulations on that nice boar. Great pictures and story. That projectile sure did a nice job on him. I hope he is a good eater. Soak that pork in milk over night before you cook it. It will pull some of the wild taste out of it. (that's what my mother always claimed)

Back