Funny looking Elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPHunter

Reaction score
Once again, I begin the Colorado ML season with a cow tag in hand. Once again, I get a really nice 5X5 bull standing in the open, broadside at 40 yards (lasered). Next year, I'm applying for bull even if it means I may not draw. I also saw 4 moose, including 2 bulls, a cow and a calf. As you can see in the photo, this bull was standing broadside at 35 yards! I'm also going to start applying for moose next year!

021.jpg

Isn't that always the way it goes. We had a doe only season one year, and I saw two of the biggest bucks of my life at under 50 yards. There I sat watching them browse and couldn't do a thing about it.

That is a good picture you took there. Colorado is a real hunters paradise. I wish you good luck on your hunting and future tag draws.
021.jpg

I took the liberty of enhancing your photo so I could get a better look at the area you hunt. Sure is pretty there. If you object to my enhancement, I will be glad to delete it for you.

That's cool. I was in unit 7 last year and found a really good moose shed. I'm hopin' one day to be able to chase a moose.

Do you mind telling us what unit you were in?

moose

wonderful picture. I honestly never dreamed of moose in CO??? I would be very happy seeing that.

Cayuga, don't mind the enhancements at all. The photo was taken late in the evening with a Sony digital camera. This was the only picture I took that came out at all. Shutter speed was so slow, most came out too blurry. I use the full res version for a desktop background and the darkness works well for that. I've seen moose tracks for the last three years, but this was the first time I got to see what was making them. The four moose were all within 5 miles of each other in GMU 421 on the Grand Mesa. The specific area I've hunted in for the last three years is heavy with bull elk. Cows are much harder to locate in this area and the bulls bugel constantly, making them much easier to find. Here's a picture of a poor tree the Elk were shredding for sport - (note all the branches on the ground):

014.jpg

Thats a Shiras moose isn't it? If so that's a really nice bull.
BPHunter said:
Once again, I begin the Colorado ML season with a cow tag in hand. Once again, I get a really nice 5X5 bull standing in the open, broadside at 40 yards (lasered). Next year, I'm applying for bull even if it means I may not draw. I also saw 4 moose, including 2 bulls, a cow and a calf. As you can see in the photo, this bull was standing broadside at 35 yards! I'm also going to start applying for moose next year!

021.jpg

That is some real pretty country. And wow.. them moose and elk can really make a mess out of a tree. If the area had a lot of bulls that might be a nice area to get a bull tag.

Have you ever bugled in a bull elk? I watched some TV show once, but they were bow hunters. And they were calling elk. It was amazing how they bust through the brush to get to that person calling.

I just got a new camera myself, after my old one just died. And it is much more sophisticated then my old one. Trouble is I am not.

Have you ever bugled in a bull elk?
Not yet, but during this trip I decided to learn for next year. The camera deal is aggravating. I wanted to take pictures of all the animals I couldn't shoot, but with the low light everything blurred. The shutter was open for at least a second. ISO 400 film would have worked fine under the same conditions. Problem is, I ain't gonna carry a professional grade camera where I hike. Maybe I'll go back to a good pocket film camera and have the photos digitized. I'm thinking I'll apply for ML bull next year. If I don't draw, I'll go up with an archery tag. Archery cow tags are additional (B-List) in Colorado. My problem with that is I don't have any bow-hunting buddies .

Thats a Shiras moose isn't it?
The Shiraz moose has been introduced into Colorado quite a few years back. You can find them all over the state now, wherever the habitat permits. Drawing take at least 3 preference points and is considered a one-time deal for most people.

Back