Thor bullet sample

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody - check please! But to get SW off this - there is no bullet better than Barnes kick -

I really do not believe they (Thor) are made by Barnes - they are an all copper bullet made by a private firm that says they perform like Barnes... Heck there is a guy on making an all copper bullet in Missouri that works pretty well but - but it is not a Barnes!

SteveB said:
At what velocities and distances?
Bone, no bone, lung only, etc?
I thought proformance on kills was the only true test - at least to some.
And if that is one's benchmark being used, you need 100's if not 1000's of shots to cover all variables to have true statistical meaning.

I'm with Bat - I know what bore size solid lead conical will do (90% of my shooting and hunting) - at 1/4 the cost. History of 1000's and 1000's of shots.

Regardless of the manufaturer, a new product needs to prove itself and set its limitations - especially a very expensive one. There isn't a manufacturer of anything that has not produced something less the stellar, regardless of their reputation and past proformance.

At this point, the Thor could be either. It probabably is a good bullet. I would hope so at that price. But its to early to know for sure.

Steve

I've tested expansion with a Barnes with a 60g powder charge and with my full charge of 120g. Both times the bullet expanded great. I've also taken game where the bullet hit bone and some that haven't hit bone. All times the bullet expanded perfectly from what I could tell from the exit wounds. It may not be as scientific or critical as you would like but it works for me. And the Barnes bullet design has worked for a lot of other people too. Lots of people have taken game with Barnes bullets and have raved about the performance. I have only heard one person ever say anything bad about Barnes bullets and that person is hocking a different bullet and has an agenda to make these claims.

I get what you're saying. Some people are just more critical than others.

Actually the only bullet I have ever used that did not do a good job was a hard cast and I should not have used it on deer they actually will work well on bigger animal. As with most things using a bullet with in its limitations is what will work best. I look more to what bullets shoot out of what gun best, that is until I got this Endeavor I have not found any it won't shoot good. Lee

I got my sample pack Monday. 4 different diameters of 250 gr bullets. If you read the website it sure sounded like these were Barnes bullets but if they were then it seems Barnes would be marketing them. I am going to try them maybe this weekend with some black mag and see how this combo does. I have never fired a bullet like this out of my mk85 other then a powerbelt which it loves.

sabotloader said:
Somebody - check please! But to get SW off this - there is no bullet better than Barnes kick -

I really do not believe they (Thor) are made by Barnes - they are an all copper bullet made by a private firm that says they perform like Barnes... Heck there is a guy on making an all copper bullet in Missouri that works pretty well but - but it is not a Barnes!

I take this as pretty much saying they are a Barnes, maybe he just reworks them with a cupped base, or has deep pockets and Barnes makes them complete. http://www.thorbullets.com/Home_Page.html

You guys who have got the sample packs, can you tell if the base is formed or machined in? Also, are they full diameter the whole length of the shank, or just the cupped portion?

deer655 said:
I got my sample pack Monday. 4 different diameters of 250 gr bullets. If you read the website it sure sounded like these were Barnes bullets but if they were then it seems Barnes would be marketing them. I am going to try them maybe this weekend with some black mag and see how this combo does. I have never fires a bullet like this out of my mk85 other then a powerbelt which it loves.

It does seem like Barnes would be trying to sell them. But doesn't Barnes make bullet/sabot combos for Knight that they don't sell under their banner???

Al in Mi said:
sabotloader said:

I take this as pretty much saying they are a Barnes, maybe he just reworks them with a cupped base, or has deep pockets and Barnes makes them complete. http://www.thorbullets.com/Home_Page.html

You guys who have got the sample packs, can you tell if the base is formed or machined in? Also, are they full diameter the whole length of the shank, or just the cupped portion?

have not gotten mine yet but when i do i will let ya know

SWThomas said:
deer655 said:
I got my sample pack Monday. 4 different diameters of 250 gr bullets. If you read the website it sure sounded like these were Barnes bullets but if they were then it seems Barnes would be marketing them. I am going to try them maybe this weekend with some black mag and see how this combo does. I have never fires a bullet like this out of my mk85 other then a powerbelt which it loves.

It does seem like Barnes would be trying to sell them. But doesn't Barnes make bullet/sabot combos for Knight that they don't sell under their banner???

yes SW ..BARNES make the bullets for KNIGHT that is what i buy at my hunting store . [BARNES RED HOTS #900590 ] which are EXPANDER MZ .

Thor001.jpg

Thor003.jpg

Thor008.jpg

The blue color in the base of the bullet is just color coding for the size of the bullet. This one for instance is .503" Dia. Much to big for any of my rifles.
Thor010.jpg

bullet

if any of you all shoot a encore or a Pro Hunter, please tell me whcich fits. I also might try it on my flinter w/ a 1:48 twisty, think that would fly? It's a lyman ??

It says right on his home page that they are the Banes X bullet (trademarked).

And I am not sure why they wouldn't work in a 1 in 48. That twist is supposed to do well with conicals as far as I know. Just call him and ask him

in the manual it says that the ideal twist is 1:16 to 1:34

Why? Probably the same reason Lehigh bullets need to be pushed fast and a fast twist barrel.... Bullet length

txhunter58

http://www.thorbullets.com/

This is the home page I see...

and it says it incorporates X Bullet technology - not that it is an X bullet.

I'll send an email to Barnes and check I have to get a new ballistics program from them anyway...

frontier gander said:
in the manual it says that the ideal twist is 1:16 to 1:34

Why? Probably the same reason Lehigh bullets need to be pushed fast and a fast twist barrel.... Bullet length

That makes sense. Due to the copper/lighter bullet, the length is longer. Good catch.

My sample pack is on the way. I shall be interested in slicing open the ones that wont fit my barrels. Lee

I received a sample pack today and checked for fit in my Triumph and Disc Extreme. The .501 fits pretty tight in the Triumph and the .502 won't go with extreme pressure. In the Knight Disc Extreme, the .503 fits real tight and the .502 falls through the barrel!!! Will shoot the (2) that fit, but don't expect to learn much from one shot! Most interested in getting them to work in my Disc Extreme with its oversize bore; doubt they will work in my Triumph. Don't really need for either, as I have plenty of accurate options for both. They just tweeked my interest!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back