Thor bullet sample

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my sample and looked them over, the dimensions they give for bore diameter to bullet are close on the sample I find the two smaller ones right on and the two bigger ones 5 ten thousands bigger.
The use the same sizing mechanism as the FPB [the skirt is flared] the body on all of the sample bullets was .4993 to .4997 and very slightly out of round. Lee

quick ?, it says that it should take between 20-30 pounds of pressure to seat the bullet. How does one know that they are using the right amount and not over forcing the bullet?

OptimaAndy said:
quick ?, it says that it should take between 20-30 pounds of pressure to seat the bullet. How does one know that they are using the right amount and not over forcing the bullet?
Try seating it with the butt of the rifle sitting on a bathroom scale. Not an exact science but it should give an idea. Subtract the weight of the rifle of course.

Thirty pounds is not a whole lot - especially if you're using a good range rod. If you're really leaning on your rod you're probably closer to 50 lbs. To get a feel for it, just push your ramrod against a bathroom scale until it hits 30 lbs. You'll be surprised at how little pressure it takes.

For those interested.
In the Endeavor Encore the .500 was not tight enough,the .501 fit with just enough pressure that it might be usable, the 502 went down a little stiff and seated very firmly. The 503 went down very hard almost needed to whack the ramrod, would definitely not want to try and load it with out the range rod. Lee

I got my sample bullets and have begun to look the over, the body on all are .4994 to .4997 the 3 ten thousands is out of round, which will make little difference if they upset much at all.
the hollow base or skirt is flared and that's how they vary the sizes, which run close to what they are supposed to, mine were .500,.501,.5023 and .5035. which if held gives a good fit range since copper is stiffer than lead one size would not fit all.
I tried them in the Endeavor Encore for fit, the .500 was to loose the .501 was shoot able as was the .502 though the .502 was tight loading even with the heavy duty range rod. I got the .503 through but I would never try to shoot it it was mutilated by the time it came out the breach end of the barrel.
I cut one in half to look over the construction.
Now we get into some opinions the lines where the bullet is supposed to peel back like a Barnes, there were only 4 this in my opinion is not enough, I believe the Barnes has several more this makes the size of the piece that has to peel back much bigger there for much stronger, we will eventually see what it takes to open them up; they are only about 20 thousands deep this is very shallow under the circumstances.
Lets hear what you all think about it. Lee
Ihave a pic. of one I cut in half if I can get some one to bring it over from HN

I'll have a fair supply of the 247gr HP colorado thors coming in. I'll be sure to post the results

I will be very interested in the expansion and penetration. The shooting club I belong to does not allow any thing but paper targets to be shot at on our range so I have a problem when it comes to tests like that, I can go to my hunting land but where I have to shoot is close to where some deer like to bed and some how that bothers me. I can drive to the wife's fishing cabin and shoot but I hate to disturb the neighbors as they are real nice. Lee

Thor/Encore

I have been shooting them for 4 months in my T/C Endever. I shoot the .502 in front of 110 grns. BH 209. At a hundred yards they group around 1 in. They will not shoot in my KRB7, not even the largest. :D

Latest posts

Back