triple 7 pellets and Pyrodex pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex Dr.

Reaction score
Hi guys

im fairly new to ML hunting shot my 1st deer last season with my 50 omega, got dad into it with a 50 encore

long story short i have had good luch at the range (on on the 1 deer I shot at)

i shoot out of both guns 295 gr powerbelts with 2 50 grain Pyrodex pellets

here is my question i was given a box of triple 7 pellets (as a early gift) can the 2 pellets be used interchangably??

I have enough Pyrodex powder pellets to get me thru deer season this year

im assuming i should not mix the 2 (based on what have read) and im thinking im going to wait on converting to the 777 pelets until i can test them at the range at various distances

last question

i just bought a 50 encore s/s grey lam stock not planning on hunting with it this year but should i stick with what i know or is there a better load

i have a larg supply of 250 gr shock waves but have yet to shoot them

thanks guys

JD

Welcome. The triple 7 pellet will be a little hotter than the pyrodex and will effect your POI. Wouldn't use it with trying it at the range and making the necessary adjustments to your scope.

thank you for the reply

is one better then the other or is it like the dodge/ chevy debate

JD

here is my question i was given a box of triple 7 pellets (as a early gift) can the 2 pellets be used interchangably??

Point of impact would probably be very close but I sure wouldn't risk it.

i just bought a 50 encore s/s grey lam stock not planning on hunting with it this year but should i stick with what i know or is there a better load

ABSOLUTELY stick with what you know.

Welcome to the forum JD!

777 vs Pyrodex, the 777 fouls much less and doesn't smell like rotten eggs.

Ballistically, they are supposed to be "equal", however, that being said, I suggest that you NEVER change powder or bullets without re-scoping at the range. It may just cost you that 16-point buck you tried to shoot.

Once sighted in, you stick with whatever combination you scoped with.

Just my $0.02 cents! :wink:

went to an indoor range tonite and

shot the new encore

with 777 and 295 gr areo tip powerbelts got a nice 3 shot group at 25yrds almost 2.5" high of where i wanted (same basic group i have my omega shooting and at 100 she is a 1" high)

after a quick boresnake cleaning i shot a 3 shot group with pryodex same powder charge and it was about a half inch lower at 25 yards then 777

so the encore will stick with 777 this season and the omega will get pyrodex till they are gone then i will resight

thanks

Jamie

Back