Range day with .54 Brush Gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I took my .54 Green Mountain Limited Edition Brush Gun to the range today and did some shooting at 100yds. With Harvester's 330 grain Hardcasts, 115 grains of Blackhorn 209 and Federal 209A's it shot a 3 shot group with all three touching. After about 8 shots though the accuracy declined and the gun needed a good cleaning. Its hard to believe how accurate a huge hunk of lead can be! If I could only figure out how to put a picture on here :(

Gun is equipped with a Leupold 3-9x50 VarXII and Knight's NFPJ conversion breech plug.

That is impressive, and the kind of accuracy I'm looking for. Shooting a rifle at 30 or 50 yards doesn't tell you much about it's potential, but shots touching at a hundred certainly does. Well done!

Thats really good for a brush gun and a 54x45 sabot.

One thing is for sure the GMB54 doesnt mind being loaded near max. Ive loaded up several 385gr Rem CLHPs and 120gr and its a power house. Sub 100yard groups are pretty good but i get better results with the MMP 54x45 and a Harvester 300gr Scorpion Gold PT. Near 3 shot clover leafs and that plenty good for a brush gun. My LK93 love them too with just 100grs.

My favorite sofar though is the Barnes 275gr Expander MZs 54x50s and 110gr of BH209. In a NFPJ i just use Win209s and in FPJs i use CCI209Ms or Fed209As.

Good to see another GMB54 owner. Not many made it into the market before GM quit selling them. Hopefully Knight bought the left overs. I added an Extreme thumbhole stock to mine so i can keep the factory stock in mint condition.

Scott

Every Knight I own and have set up for others like heavy charges of powder. I started them all out shooting 80grs and went up from there. They are powder hawgs but the accuracy that they will give you is great.

DC

sounds like a heck of a shooting rifle. Next time the accuracy goes south, really swab the barrel clean. That will normally bring them back. With that kind of accuracy and load you have a heck of a brush rifle. And with the set up, just a real fine gun.

thats one HELL of a group!

By the way, copy the IMG code, not the HTTP code. the IMG code will show the picture right on the forum page so no one has to click on the link.

Back