SEMI-AUTO

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black powder

Reaction score
just curious and would like a reaction from the title above [SEMI-AUTO]

do we realy need a semi for big game hunting ...???????

i got rid of all of my semi's and only use bolt action rifles and oh yes i even went one step further i am now into muzzleloading ,one shot at a time . and have started to enjoy that new sport ..hunting is now more interesting for me .one shot one kill ..

No we probley don't need semi's for hunting, but who are we to stop someone if thats there weapon of choice. I am like you, one shot one kill. And firmly believe if you can't make a clean ethical kill with one shot don't shoot. period

Are you speaking of a semi auto hunting gun or all semi autos including the DREADED black rifles?

I own semis and Black rifles. Do I need a Semi to hunt with? No but as long as I am able to own weapons I will continue to do so.Why????? Because I can

I understand where Skwirl is coming from. We are seeing a slow erosion of our rights, and while I don't have any black rifles, I don't want to see the govt tell me I can't have them. You are seeing more talk about the US gun laws allowing for more drug lords in Mexico to have guns. What they are not telling you is that our govt sold the govt of Mexico the guns and then the soldiers gave them to the drug cartels, yet the US govt is now going to use it as a reason for more gun control in the US. Most of the guns they are using are full auto, where are they getting those?

skwirl said:
Are you speaking of a semi auto hunting gun or all semi autos including the DREADED black rifles?

I own semis and Black rifles. Do I need a Semi to hunt with? No but as long as I am able to own weapons I will continue to do so.Why????? Because I can

in my posting i wrote " semi for big game hunting "

i did not mention the second amendment " Bill of Rights that protects a right to keep and bear arms"

Yes, as long as its legal in your state. We need it as much as we need a single shot, pump, lever, or bolt gun. The "black gun" is my choice for varmint and predator hunting. Not because I need that type of gun, its because I have the right to choose what I want to use. My "black gun" is super accurate and allows fast follow up shots for multiple targets.

What difference does it make what type of hunting you are doing? You can use an AR10 which will kill anything on this continent when chambered correctly. It's as viable of a hunting gun as a Win 94.

I can't stand hypocrites that don't mind banning a certain type of gun as long as it does not encroach on what they use. :roll: Uncle Ted said it best in his song Kiss My Ass.

Semi Automatic rifles and shotguns have a real place in the hunting world. Just because someone else does not like them, that's no reason to take them away from someone else. Its not even a reason to criticize them. Its a personal choice. That is all it is.

My first deer rifle I purchased was a semi automatic Remington Woodsmaster Carbine in 30-06. I'd hate to guess how many deer that rifle killed. Most of them were taken with the first shot. A few times I took two deer out of a bunch during the same encounter, when I had the tags to fill. Could I have done that with a bolt action.. maybe, perhaps, probably.

When I purchased my carbine my best friend was shooting a Remington 700 BDL bolt action in 30-06. We were at the range shooting targets out to 150 yards. His father hated my semi automatic rifle. And he commented to me, that his son's bolt action was more accurate. Well if you compared targets of ours that day, there really was not a lot of difference in the groups. But his dad then said, but if you were shooting nickels at 300 yards, my son would have the advantage. And that was when I opened my mouth and was forever banned from hunting there farm when I said, the next time I want to shoot nickels, I'll borrow your sons rifle.

I also own bolt action rifles. And they are very accurate. But if I have to hunt a thicket my little semi auto 30-06 would be my first choice. When we went in the thick after a wounded bear, the first rifle they wanted me to take was my 30-06 carbine loaded with 220 grain shells. Why, fire power. I have five rounds and they come out of that rifle real fast.

I also own assault rifles. I have deer hunted with them. But really they are more fun to sit on the range and shoot. And occassionally load the magazine and just look at a hill side and open up. Something you have to do to understand the joy in it. My ex father in law used to call that a barrage. He'd hear me fire off and laugh saying I was having a barrage.

I like semi auto weapons.

skwirl said:

I don't have any black guns. I have a few rifles that have black stocks and black barrels with black scopes , but I have no black guns as that is a deroggatory term that ignorant new age assholes , who have their head in their ass have coined to "demonize" us normal people. Of course I am talking about BO , the Clintonistas, Schumer , Pelosi and others of their ilk that cheat and lie and defame we hunters and gun fanciers.
if you ask me I will tell you how I really feel about these people!!!

semi

didn't know this ewas a rant, sorry akwirl. I thought it was a hunting question?

Re: semi

Bucker said:
didn't know this ewas a rant, sorry akwirl. I thought it was a hunting question?

Puh-leeeze! Black Powder is from North of the border. Just because they bent over and let their government drive, doesn't mean the USA will.

AJ up in CANADA we are allowed to hunt with SEMI-AUTO ,pump ,bolt and,lever action rifles.. all personel choices that we make on our own.

Actually in Wisconsin, multi capable shot rifles were very popular years ago, and still are. When I first started walking the woods everyone had semi autos, pumps, lever actions and then you might see an occasional bolt action. It was not until the "hunting pros" started singing the praises of bolt actions that people drifted that at.

And do not get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a bolt action rifle. I have two of them. They are very accurate, and I've taken deer with them. But if you were to walk into my hunting camp, the rifles you would see among my group are;

my semi auto 30-06 or now a muzzleloader, Bill's lever action 30-30 Marlin, Dan's semi auto Remington 30-06, Pete's bolt action 30-06 and his 30-30 Winchester lever action, Doug's Winchester Model 94 30-30 lever action, John's Winchester Model 94 lever action 30-30, and Paul's Savage bolt acton .243, Bob's bolt action 7mm Mag Remington, Brian's Model 94 30-30, and Will's Model 94 lever action 30-30. And believe me, these backwoods boys can shoot. Not a lot of bolt guns needed when you hunt thickets and shots are close and fast.

same with my hunting group cayuga my best friend has a BROWNING BAR 30-06 and no way will he ever sell it ,anouther one has a TIKA .270 wsm .like u said it's a personel choice and i agree but i wanted other people to chime in on they're choice ..

Let a big (or little) grizzly or a brown charge ya. 8) :wink:

Which would YOU like to have at your disposal?? 8)

Batchief909 said:

my 300 WSM with a .180gr bullet

I got rid of all my bolt guns and went to semi's. I have 2 Browning BAR and I would not hunt with anything else. I rarely need a second shoot but I like to know its there if I need it.

semi

I use pump CF gun in 06 and 7mm rem mag. I have never hunted w/ a bolt gun or lever. All my shotguns are pumps. I think I can pump rounds out as fast as a semi can shoot em' out. Okay semi guys lets hear it on that statement. FYI, Last year I started hunting only w/ my Pro Hunter 50 caliber and a flintlock rifle. I never even sited in my 06. I had great fun and really never missed the extra shots. I just changed the way I hunt.

black powder said:
Batchief909 said:

my 300 WSM with a .180gr bullet

Really?? I'll take an 870 with a magazine full of (any) Brenneke slugs any day. So I guess my answer is "pump"..... 8)

My friend many years ago purchased a Browning BAR in 7mm mag (we were headed out west elk hunting. I bought a Ruger M77 in 7mm mag.). I had a chance to shoot his rifle at a range when he was sighting it in. That rifle was amazing. He had a high end Leupold scope on it and we were smacking water balloons at 200 and 300 yards off a bench rest with little problem.

Back