First day at the range, new to ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dens228

Reaction score
I bought a TC Encore Prohunter and finally got it out on the range today to sight it in.

I'm using 250 grain TC Shockwave ST's with 100 grains of Blackhorn powder, and CCI 209m primers. My first two shots were at 50 yards in an attempt to get on paper, and as luck would have it they were dead center. So out to 100 yards to zero it in. After about 10 shots I started having problems. The primers were firing but the ML was not. At first I didn't realize what happened so tried another primer, same thing. So I pulled the breech plug and there was barely any powder in the barrel, a pushed the Shockwaves back out, cleaned the barrel and wiped out the hole in the breech plug with the pick. Put it all back together, two shots, then same problem. Once again only a little power left in the barrel, but like the first time it seemed the Shockwave hadn't moved at all.

My semi-educated totally new to this guess is that the hole in the breech plug is getting clogged and causing the powder to just do a slow burn if that is even possible.

On a side note, the barrel was almost as clean as new without swabbing between shots.

So, do I need to clean the breech plug very frequently when shooting, or hotter primers, or......................

How hard were the bullets loading? Blackhorn needs pressure to burn properly so a tight fitting sabot is a must.

DC

I am not trying to be insulting, so don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you put powder in on those misfires? I have been muzzle loading over 20 years and have "dry balled" a half dozen times--it can definitely happen.

I can't see how the powder could burn away without moving the bullet/sabot. I had a couple experimental loads in my Savage this winter that were way too loose and the primer fired but failed to ignite the powder because there was no "pressure." The bullet/sabot moved up the barrel about 3" and the powder was still there when I removed the breech plug and pushed the load out.

If your primer went off and the gun did not fire and there was no powder there when you pushed out the bullet, I am betting you just forgot the powder to begin with. JMO--good luck and have fun.

Dens228

I did read your post and I am a bit of a loss to explain much - be different had been there....

Just out of curiosity - did you pop a few primers before you started shooting? When/if you popped spme primers did you have the muzzle close to the ground so you couls see the gas move the grass/dirt/gravel what ever might have been down there?

Just asking a trouble shooting starting point question...

Shoot did not read your post well enough... so as I read it you got to shots off then the problems started to occur... So my next question would be...still want to know about the primers but... What sabots were on the SW's... the black ones or the yellow ones?

mike

i would try... 2.... T7 pellets and see what happens ..nothing complicated with pellets ..i have used them with no problem ..u can alway's go back to BH 209 later..

I really do not know what to tell you. I went through two pounds of BlackHorn 209 and never shot a more consistent powder. I used Winchester W209 primers and never had a problem.

So since the rifle was shooting fine, I would have to wonder if you dry balled it that couple times. It does happen. You simply forget to load powder. Especially after you have been shooting a while and things are going smooth. And since you found no powder under the shockwave and the bore was clean, that right there sets off alarms. When you removed the breech to push the shockwave out, how far up the bore of the rifle were they? Even a slow burn would have created pressures in the bore and moved that shockwave out of the barrel. That is why I "suspect" you simply forgot to load powder. Then again, I could be wrong.

As for the breech plug.. a complaint I have read is the breech plug clogs with carbon from the BlackHorn and needs to be cleaned. I personally never experienced that. But I think the design of the breech plug is what makes the difference.

All I can add is, next trip to the range, start with a nice clean breech plug. And relax. When you load, think out each step. And be sure to report back of your results. With the loads hitting so well at 50 yards, I am sure you have a good load there, so it should tune in well.

No insult taken, LOL, that was the first thing I thought the first time.
The second time I was sure there was powder. Plus, just to be sure, if the prior shot fired would all the powder be burned? Each time a small amount of powder was still in the barrel.

I'm at a loss too........

I'll be going back out in a week or so and see what happens. Now I'm itching to get back out there.....I have a hog hunt in May.

The sabots are yellow.

Also, no I didn't shoot off a couple of primers first, is that something I should do?

I'm making the switch to ML from shotgun to add some fun to things.

I'll get some Pyrodex also and see how that goes.

Remember with Pyrodex RS unlike shooting BlackHorn, you have to swab between shots. So a good swab solution is Windex or a 50/50 mix of alcohol and car windshield wiper fluid. Just lightly mist a patch, and swab in short strokes. Then a dry patch or two.

did you clean out your breachplug flash channel with a 1/8" drill bit? they can clog up. karl

k said:
did you clean out your breachplug flash channel with a 1/8" drill bit? they can clog up. karl

I did when I got home, I'll have one with me at the next session.

while i usually get 20+ plus shots before i clean out the breech on the triumph when loading bh209 i only get 10+ with the shadow.it"s kinda like a t7 crud ring but in the breech instead of the barrel. karl

Take a 1/8 inch drill and run it into the the fire tube if you get a bunch of carbon out of the tube between the base of the 209 pocket and the touch hole then clear the touch hole with a nipple pick and see if that's not the problem. Lee

Pro Hunter

I shoot 110 grains of BH209 and get 30 shots no problem. That BP will be clogged but never had it not fire or hang fire. I use the CCI 209m primer. When i got home i soaked that bp in coca cola for a 1/2 hour and plunged a pipe cleaner into it to clean. I'm thinking to 1)go back to the range and slow your loading process down, 2) get adifferent primer prior to buying more powder. Eliminate in steps what you have w/ the powder being last as itr is the most expensive peice. You are going to love shooting the Pro!!!!

I'm hopefully about to become a member of a shooting club so unlimited access to the range. The gun shot great, I'm sure I'll work it out.

Back