Question on sabots opening up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFox

Reaction score
Hi Guy's.
Well it looks like another sleepless night 2AM.
My question is every since my last range session with my REM 700ML, this has been on my mind.Now the gun is shooting great with the New Barnes T-EZ 250 Gr bullets with the HPH/24 sabots.But the sabots are not opening up all the way.These sabots are NOT the only ones that do not open up all the way.I had some older 250 Gr Shockwave's that did not open up all the way either.I wish i had a camera to show yall some pics of the recover sabots,but sad to say i don't.But they just open up a little bit to let go of the bullet.One could almost stick another bullet in the used sabot and shoot her again.Now i have nerver seen this happen before over the years in any gun that i have own and shot.It is just happen with my REM700ML .None of the Petals are fold back they are just bairly crack open.But the GUN is shooting so Great like this.The sabots are only going down range about 50 feet ,Easy to find them.I have tried 100 &110 grs of BlackMag3 .I wish some could are would post some pics of there sabots opening up

got no answere for you ,but i would not worry about sabots not opening ,as long as the ML is shooting great with the New Barnes T-EZ 250 Gr bullets ...

also clicked on the RANDY WAKEMAN link that u posted !!, last week we had the same thing happening on our range ,but here it was not a CVA ..the ML was sent out to a metal expert to see if the barrel was porous . waiting for results ...[2 people were injured ]

Like what i said blacl powder.I myself have nerver seen a sabot of any knid that did or would not open all the way.The gun is shooting great so it can not be harming it or hurting the accurary of it.It's one on them things that just sticks in my mind.Any body else seen this before?
black powder said:
got no answere for you ,but i would not worry about sabots not opening ,as long as the ML is shooting great with the New Barnes T-EZ 250 Gr bullets ...

also clicked on the RANDY WAKEMAN link that u posted !!, last week we had the same thing happening on our range ,but here it was not a CVA ..the ML was sent out to a metal expert to see if the barrel was porous . waiting for results ...[2 people were injured ]

It doesn't matter WHAT the sabots look like after being fired as long as you are shooting good groups! 8)

Chuck beat me to it..

I really don't care what the sabot looks like as long as the bullet is accurate. Look at the 200 grain blue Shockwave sabots. Very accurate bullet but the sabot is in pieces down range. And the Barnes open like a windmill when they are done.

If it puts them in the bulls eye, that's good enough for me.

big6x6 said:
It doesn't matter WHAT the sabots look like after being fired as long as you are shooting good groups! 8)

What he said.

The MMP 50/40's do not open up hardly at all for me and I get one hole groups with them at 50 yards.

The 50/40 sabots look almost new with t7 for me, in fact, I might have resused some...

I guess all of yall are right.The gun is shooting them just great.I just could not figure out why the sabots would not open up all the way.Like the old saying goes.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, THEN DON'T TRY TO FIX IT

When I had an in line and shot prodex and T7 mine never opened up either. It wasn't until I started with a Savage and smokeless that they did. The material used to make sabots in stronger now IMO they need more velocity to open up all the way.

Back