Went out and took some better photos

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota

Reaction score
img_6410.jpg

img_6411.jpg

Congrats BigDaddy!!  You can be proud of that one. I'm envious of your Bow harvest.

Thanks everyone!! I am pretty proud of this guy.. First buck over 8 points for me, but I can't seem to get over that 125" mark. I have 3 bucks now between 120", and 125". This guy made 122 3/8. He is at the taxidermist as we speak. Got it all deboned but the front legs, and 2 tubs of scrap left. 
img_6412.jpg

You eastern count guys kill me, out here its a 6 X 5. My relations in NY and PA come up with these large numbers like 12 point or larger once in a while, in one case a cousin's kid counted every bump on the rack (like 17 point). The points as I'm sure you know have to be at least 1 in in length, that bumpy buck was really a 10 point or 5 X 5 western count, still a nice white tail.

Keep that one, do a European skull mount, Cabelas sells a kit for making this style of a mount. This is a nice buck that you can share with your grand kids with the experience they'll remember their whole life.

I met a couple of young men yesterday while having my truck worked on at the dealership. They showed up having problems with their truck, both hunters with some really neat gear (big buck stuff like a Swarovski BTX Dual Eyepiece Spotting scope, a pair of Kimber Adirondack 4 lb. rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor caliber (had never seen these before), cool gear). Anyway we sat and talked and shared hunting stories, then they started talking about their relations of 3 or 4 generations back and how they hunted.

That's what our great great great grand kids will share about us in the future, think about that and what you would like said about you from yours.

I know exactly where you are coming from BigDaddy with scoring whitetails.  Score keeping is fun if you don't take it too seriously.  I have yet to reach that 125 inch mark myself.  My best bow buck to date is stuck on 121 2/8th.  I'll be working on that personal best again this evening. :) 

(my overall best to date stands at 151 1/8...but who's counting  :lol: )

Quite the trophy indeed BigDaddy and you're one-up on me.  I got a ten pointer, but can't seem to make that 11 pointer.  (Why is an 11 pointer significant?...it's next in point sequence having taken bucks 1 through 10.)  

There are many ways a hunter has to keep their passion alive.

Good Luck Marty, hope you stick a good one! Our gun season opens tomorrow morning, so I will be out tithe the shotgun. I still have my doe tag left to fill.

patocazador said:
A 1 point Marty?  :scratch:
Yup...only deer I've ever taken out of a tree stand too.   It was a cross between a spikey and a button buck.   Since the lone beam was 7", it was considered an antlered deer.  

BigDaddy:

I had a small set of antlers come within 25 yards of me this evening at around 5:00 p.m.(about an hour before legal quitting time.).... but I couldn't get a shot off through the under-growth.  I was calling over a fresh scrape.  Can't beat hunting the rut....even when it's 62 degrees out.  I'll just keep pluggin' away. :D

Back