Which chronograph?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prochrono :D

Make sure you get the debris shield also :wink: 8)

ProChronoDigital.jpg

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/p ... ories.html

splat-guard-sml.gif

Chuck's chronograph history:
1 Oehler.. 35P
4 Chronys
2 PACTs
4 Pro Chrono

I'd probably go Pro Chrono as well although my choice isn't as clear as it once was. The Pro Chrono is VERY good a getting a reading. It will hardly EVERY "error" and usually it's a diffuser or battery issue so it's an easy remedy. HUGE "window" to shoot thru for an accurate reading. One piece diffuser and diffuser rods are easy to set up. Also a place for a spare battery which you will NEED. It's a little bulky...NOTHING folds. The Pro Chrono is a little on the fragile side when compared to the Chrony. I have had two to quit working and repairs are slow and relatively expensive....ie $45.00 to repair a $100.00 chrono...

The last two Chronys I have purchased have been EXCELLENT. The first one I bought was EXTREMELY picky about what it would read and what it woundn't. HUGE improvements in this area have been made and it's right with the Pro Chrono in this regard. Now I have a Master Alpha Chrony that has a remote control/read-out that I really like. Handy because the readout/controls are right there on the bench beside you AND nice because a stray sabot petal can't wreck your LCD! And it's still only about $100.00.

Flip a coin..

I have an Oehler 35P that I've had for several years. Although expensive, I think they're hard to beat. I know they are out of business on this model, but spare parts are still available. Costs are currently ridiculous; seen them go for over $600!!!! I paid around $200 several years ago for one like new and have never regretted it.

I had an original Chrony until it committed suicide and jumped up in front of a bullet. :cry: I replaced it with a Oehler 35P about 10 years ago. Funny when I take it to the range how many other shooters with chronographs want to know how theirs measures up to the Oehler. If I had to replace mine, I would probably take a hard look at the CED M2.

I really like my C.E.D. Millenium with the infra-red diffusers. It always works like it's supposed to.

Another tip, after my Chrony jumped in front of a bullet, I decided I will bot get a setup that has the expensive computer downrange. If I screw up and take out a skyscreen, its a lot cheaper than replacing the entire unit. The display and brains of the system should be back on the bench with the shooter.

I'm with big6x6--I like the Chrony models. I had one for about 10 years that worked great until I killed it with a sabot--whacked the hell out of my LCD display! Oh well--it went down fighting.

I now have a Master Alpha Chrony with a wired remote control and display that sits back at the bench with me where those wild sabots can't get it. And now I hang a little piece of plywood or plexi glass in front of the unit to protect it from sabots; even though the display is back at the bench, there are still electronics under the screens that need some protection. The sabots separate surprisingly fast and can do some damage :shock: My Chrony's tripod has been hit and dented before too. The Chrony works great and only costs $100. I was using it today with my Omega and my Savage. :D

I got a MidwayUSA flier in the mail today and on the front page they have the Shooting Chrony F1 Chronographs on sale.

The FI for $71.99

The F1 Master (remote monitor) for $89.99

THey work well and that is a bargain!

I have the Crony with the remote display, it has worked perfect for more than 10 yrs. This is my third Crony, a Felt wad from Muzzle Loaders took the display out of #2, and the first died when my son put a .490 ball threw the first one :roll: :roll: that crony id travel almost 10' after the shot. think it was a Lyman pistol.

Ken
CNY

Back