Bore & Sabot fit issue - storing assembled sabot/round?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbongard

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new. Bagged a 6 pt with the CVA Kodiak last year using Triple Seven. This year I'm ... trying... to migrate to BH209. As I'm becoming more sophisticated in the use of Black Horn 209 and some of the challenges with sabot selection I've engaged in a measurement review.

First, the I.D. of my barrel accepts a .499 Pin but will not accept a .500 pin. I did not try half sizes. So, I accept that my rifle bore is somewhere between the two numbers.

Questions:

1. What is the proper interference between Sabot O.D. and the I.D. of my bore?
2. Does anyone have a recommendation on whether there is a problem storing a sabot installed over a round?

Thank You,

Jim

Welcome, I thought bore sizes for 50 cal were just a hair over the .500, usually. The easy way to see what your bore likes is to try some regular sabots & compare them to the 'easy-glide'/'low drag' sabots. I found the low drag just a little to loose in my Knight with B209, even after a few shots. You can push a few down to see how thay fit, then push them back out. Make sure the bullet, .44/45cal is properly matched to the sabot.

Many sabots are loaded with the bullet in position on the jacket, for storage. I don't see any problem with that, if that's the question.

Thank your for writing. Yes, I agree my CVA seems to have a tighter bore. I tried measuring with calipers... no luck. So I used gage pins with a .0002" tolerance.

Also, thanks for commenting about storing sabots loaded with the bullet "in position on the jacket".

I didn't think it would matter. Plastic & brass... How much can change?

Take Care,

Jim

A good sabot for your bore might be the Harvester Crush Rib. It has been the ideal sabot on my newest triumph, which also has a pretty tight bore.

fisher2072 said:
A good sabot for your bore might be the Harvester Crush Rib. It has been the ideal sabot on my newest triumph, which also has a pretty tight bore.

+1

Latest posts

Back