Shotgun Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafsob

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting read to set up my TC New Englander for turkey hunting and found some shot cups in my local toy shop. They were made by White and have ribbed walls. It was made specifically for a White ML shotgun. It asks that you cut pedals in the sidewalls. One of my friends said it should work in my New Englander.

Question is, "Has anyone every used these in any MLs other then a White barrel and do I have to cut them pedals or can I shoot them with out the pedals?

Thanks.
Larry

Larry,
I have a White Thunder .12 ga. shotgun and use these shotcups for small game hunting. You can use them in the New Englander, but you will want to cut at least 3-4 slots in them. I cut 3 slots about 1" down on the sides. The slots allow the shotcup to open up and fall away from the shot column.
If you don't cut the slots you will have a .12 ga. hole in your target/turkey or miss a turkey head unless your lucky.

FYI the White shotguns have a straight rifling in the barrel which doesn't allow the shotcup to rotate which increases accuracy I'm told. They are bad news for squirrels too!! :lol:

I use that same wad in my 12 turkey loads. It sounds like the ones I buy from Ballistics Products. I cut them all the way to the bottom with 3 slits. If you don't they will slug. I found that out the hard way. The ones I use have 18 ribs so I just count 6 ribs and make a slit to the base, count another 6 and you get the picture. You may want to use another was under that cup. They can be had at www.ballisticproducts.com and they are called a BPGS Ballistic Products Gas Seal. In my cartridge Turkey gun I load them with 1 5/8 oz. copper plated #5's an they killed quite a few birds at 50 yds. They are an excellent wad. Good Shooting!

Thanks for the inputs guys. This is all new to me and interesting for sure. Hopefully I will get a chance to try some of these loads next week.

One of the things I like about these cups is that White made them so you can load them past a choke tube! I will try different patterns on the pedals to see which one works best.

I will be using Goex ffg powder. What amount of shot should I look to use and how are you guys measuring the shot. Don't have anything that measures in oz.???

You may be able to find a shot dipper on Ebay. They are adjustable and marked in ounces. They used to come in every Lee Hand loader for shotgun shells. They still sell those on Ebay now and then. Or, I know for a fact that they can be had at www.ballisticproducts.com. You could weigh the shot in your reloading scale. 437.5 grs= 1 oz. I just looked on Ebay there is a brand new shot dipper for $3.85.

If you don?t have the manual for this gun you can get one using this link:

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/no ... r_Guns.pdf

This list a max charge of 100 grains of powder and 1 3/8 oz shot. You can either use a dipper set at 1 3/8 oz to measure both powder and shot or use a powder measure set to 100 grains for the max load. I find that using FFg equal volume of shot and powder produce the most consistent patterns.

Several tricks that I have learned may give you a place to start. I do not use plastic wads. I rely on the choke tube to tighten the pattern. I have the turkey choke that T/C sells and find that it produces excellent very tight patterns. I do not remove the tube to load the gun. Use felt wonder wads, they pass through the choke and then return to original shape to seal the bore. Any tube designed for the original win-choke system will work in your New Englander.

I use one wonder wad over the powder and one over the shot and equal volumes of FFg and shot. I like #5 for turkey but would use 4?s if I had to. Although 6?s do well in a modern gun, I just don?t feel like I can drive it hard enough with black powder to be effective past 30 yards on turkey.

Latest posts

Back