Wax, grease, or oil?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Scratch

Reaction score
What do y’all use to put on yalls rifles to prevent rust and a general protection? I have heard of different recipes that the old guys used. I have always used a type of oil but would like to try something else. What do y’all use and who you use it? Thanks. <>< del

Not PC, but I really like Barricade. It does extremely well in rust tests but my favorite thing about it is it dries and just leaves a protective film. If I accidently apply too much to the bore, well after a couple days it has dried and I don't need to keep the rifle stored bore down if I don't want to.
It also can be left in and doesn't have to be stripped out before loading and shooting, no sticky mess when fouling is introduced. I still do strip it out when just going to the range, but it's nice to leave it in when loading up for hunting and still having bore protection.

Like most shooters, starting out with a 22 single shot rifle 70 years ago, I've tried about every gun oil you can think of. The mainstay when I was a kid was three in one oil, and it worked, but I wasn't shooting corrosive ammo either. Now, after hot water cleaning and really drying my muzzleloaders, I coat The inside with kerosene and then store them barrel down. Is it better than oil? I doubt it, but I don't have trouble with rust. I do reclean clean after 24 hours just to be certain that it is clean using only patches and black powder bore cleaner. So far have never found anything then, so I just run a shot a kerosene in an put it away, bore down. If what you're doing works for you, that's the right one to use.
Squi
nt

When still having a few tables at the gun shows you tried and be aware of lookers that are eating and touching your goods. One of the biggest problems was french frys (salt on the looker's hands). If that salt isn't removed you'll find the start of surface rust that can be a problem. The best protection most of the antique dealers found to help protect their wares was "Turtle Wax", stopped the rust until you could wipe the item down with a good protection of gun oil.

I really like Frontier’s Anti-Rust & Patch Lube as well, I use it for several different things, From Lightly lubing Centerfire Brass for Resizing, I use it as a Lubricant for Sizing my Lead Bullets, And i have used it with Great success as a Bullet Lube in the Grease Grooves. It is unique stuff, With MANY Different applications. I speak HIGHLY of it 👍

Ok can of worms Hot water and ballistol mix for cleaning WD-40 (well water displacing) wipe all off bore brushes/nipple picks and then Rem-Oil outsides and bore butters on the insides. It really is a personal choice how deep one goes with it Each has one better as apposed to a neighbors....Like Nike JUST DO IT I care not what is used Lucas Gun oil and Gun Scrubber

Ok can of worms Hot water and ballistol mix for cleaning WD-40 (well water displacing) wipe all off bore brushes/nipple picks and then Rem-Oil outsides and bore butters on the insides. It really is a personal choice how deep one goes with it Each has one better as apposed to a neighbors....Like Nike JUST DO IT I care not what is used Lucas Gun oil and Gun Scrubber

Becareful with WD-40, be sure you wipe it out good, don't let it get into the ignition system (flash hole or nipples). Years ago the when WD-40 was first introduced (remember it in 1954 came out the year before) some of the police departments had issues with WD-40 neutralizing primers in their service weapons (to make an acidic or alkaline substance chemically neutral).

I have the link saved to book marks....After the horror days I am going to have to try it, Just spent day with my son preventive maintenance on all 4 of My Black Powders I am a stickler for anti-seize on nipple threads as well as breach plug threads anti seize, and bore butter the snot barrel/cylinder. when not in use.

I have a tin of Frontier's anti-rust and patch lube but haven't gotten much testing done with it yet.
It showed a lot of promise as a patch lube the one time I tried it. Think I may have a picture of the group, I'll look. I haven't tried it for rust proofing yet. Smells good, can't place what the smell reminds me of. This winter I'll do some more testing with it. I like to keep things simple, so if it serves both anti-rust proofing and accurate patch lube then I'll eliminate two other products from my inventory. I'm not really worried about its anti-rusting properties, just want to see if my picky Renegade will shoot it accurately.

Here is the group with Frontiers patch lube. 4 shots at 50 yards off sand bags with a big .060” front post reference on the rifle. Better than I remembered, it will definitely shoot in my rifle, and that one out of the group was more than likely me.
5CD8F64D-0CE0-4A6C-91E0-D9A81B346E1D.jpeg

I have a tin of Frontier's anti-rust and patch lube but haven't gotten much testing done with it yet.
It showed a lot of promise as a patch lube the one time I tried it. Think I may have a picture of the group, I'll look. I haven't tried it for rust proofing yet. Smells good, can't place what the smell reminds me of. This winter I'll do some more testing with it. I like to keep things simple, so if it serves both anti-rust proofing and accurate patch lube then I'll eliminate two other products from my inventory. I'm not really worried about its anti-rusting properties, just want to see if my picky Renegade will shoot it accurately.
I switched to Frontier's patch lube and anti rust from several others that froze or didn't prevent rust or fouled the barrel. Works well so far as lube , and after cleaning i melt some on a clean patch and swab the barrel and they stay nice in storage. Swab before shooting to remove excess and go again. Just my 2 cents

I switched to Frontier's patch lube and anti rust from several others that froze or didn't prevent rust or fouled the barrel. Works well so far as lube , and after cleaning i melt some on a clean patch and swab the barrel and they stay nice in storage. Swab before shooting to remove excess and go again. Just my 2 cents

agree with you.

Last edited:
Clean hot water/ballistol mix, Bore Butter to barrel after dry, as with anti seize to nipples and breech plugs every so often pull out of safe or down from rack more bore butter and anti seize return. May add rem oil trigger area. Not much

Back