quick question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
when cleaning between groups today i noticed that there was like a mush buildup on the plug. it was a small coating not a big mess but i was curious as to what this was and if it was common.
Wondering if i should be using a hotter 209. right now i am using regular winchester 209 primers with pyro rs and t7

thanks

Probably some powder/primer residue. Your primer is fine...very typical.

would there be less if i used a hotter primer like the winchester 777 or cci 209M?

hotter primers with loose triple Seven can actually cause you a harder and greater crud ring. It is usually suggested to use a less hotter primer like the Remington Kleenbore or the Winchester Triple Seven primer.

i thought that the winchester 777 was a hot primer?
right now i am using regular winchester 209

No, the Winchester Triple Seven primer was toned down to make sure while there is plenty of flame to ignite the powder, it hoped it would cut down on the crud ring. I never buy them. They are too expensive. I shoot the Winchester W209 and just swab between shots.

i seem to have about the same crud ring no matter what the primer using 777 2f. karl

3f is a good powder. All you can do it try it. I have shot a lot of 3f powder. In some rifles it does better but normally I get as good or better in many of my traditional and inlines with simple old 2f powder.

Back