New XP3 slugs?Decent results..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Took some time today to run to the range to do some more testing. While I have been set on the Remington Core-Lokts as the top performer in my 12 ga gun, the Savage 210, I am always willing to try new slugs.

I had just received a few boxes of the Winchester Elite XP3?s which just hit the shelves last week and decided to test them today. (First off I should point out that I have shot hundreds of rounds of various manufacturers? ammunition through the Savage 210 and have generally determined that the gun is capable of just under 2 MOA with the better ammunition.)

Before I discuss the accuracy results let me first discuss the velocity. In one word?wow! While this ammo may not be the absolute fastest on the market it is close enough?more importantly, the shot to shot variation in velocity is the best, (lowest) that I have seen by an enormous margin?High to low velocity spread was generally less than +/- 10fps!!!

Average velocity for the XP3?s out of the Savage?s 24? barrel was 1860 which is just below what I generally get from the Hornady SST?s but certainly close enough that it is still in the top of it?s category?

Here are some examples of velocity strings?

Recoil?.

Once again?wow! While you still know you are shooting a 12 ga slug when firing these XP3?s they are actually reasonably pleasant to shoot. In fact I would suspect these are, if not the lightest recoiling high velocity sabots, then certainly they are close. I put the recoil on par with the SST?s or possibly a bit lighter?.(Mel even stated she would prefer hunting with these slugs even if they were slightly less accurate than the Core-Lokts simply because she was much more comfortable/confident shooting the gun with the reduced recoil of the XP3?s.)

Accuracy?

After the amount of shooting I have done with this Savage 210 I can generally tell very quickly whether a new type of ammo holds promise, (usually within the first two boxes). The XP3?s are no exception?While Mel and I only shot a few rounds each. You can see for yourself our results?.very near the guns 2MOA abilities?

While clearly these are preliminary results, and I am certain I will be doing much more extensive testing of these slugs in the future, for now, based on this limited experience?I have to give these slugs a big thumbs up!! [up]

A few of today?s notable results?.

135_3589.jpg

135_3586.jpg

135_3583.jpg

135_3587.jpg

Latest posts

Back