Was asked about the original rendezvous of the past.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Have been asked about the original rendezvous of the past and their locations. I think we had talked about this a few years ago?

All the rendezvous were held west of the Continental Divide with the exception of the 1829 (Lander), 1830 (Riverton), and 1838 (Riverton) rendezvous. Except for one site that was in Utah, two where on the Utah-Idaho border, and one in Pierre’s Hole, Idaho, all of the other rendezvous were held in Wyoming; six of the sixteen rendezvous were held on Horse Creek in the Green River Valley near present-day Daniel, Wyoming. I will repeat the total number held as some make this number an issue.

There were only sixteen (16) fur trade rendezvous held period.
b96d70c283029cda1a168c3567d7323b.jpg
Rocky Mountain Rendezvous 1825 – 1840

All of the Mountain Man rendezvous were held in the territory of primarily the Shoshone (Snake) Indians.

The largest tributary of the Missouri, Columbia, and Colorado river systems heads within a sixty-eight mile radius of the Grand Teton peak in western Wyoming. Another circle with a radius of one hundred and ninety-one miles covers all of the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous sites and the Three Forks area of Montana. With the Grand Teton at its center, this area covers the richest beaver country in the Rocky Mountains.

birthday 80.jpg

Sounds like historic rendezvous gatherings originated from the fur trade. You mentioned beaver but I would imagine other fur was bartered.
Buck', do you know if these past "rendezvous" sites were inhabited year-round as trading posts?

Sounds like historic rendezvous gatherings originated from the fur trade. You mentioned beaver but I would imagine other fur was bartered.
Buck', do you know if these past "rendezvous" sites were inhabited year-round as trading posts?

Good question Marty,

Beaver was the fur wanted and traded for other furs were considered secondary for the common man. Beaver Fur was in demand by Europeans for their Top Hats $$$$.

From everything I have read and researched only a few became trading posts, then it was an issue with the local Indian tribes and keeping peace. The French were known for shady dealings that could set off problems, freekin' French .... :rolleyes: 😉

Those that survived became towns some kept the rendezvous original name while others change the sites name. Good example is Fort Hall, Rivertown and so on .... same name. :coffee:

time.moves.jpg

Good question Marty,

Beaver was the fur wanted and traded for other furs were considered secondary for the common man. Beaver Fur was in demand by Europeans for their Top Hats $$$$.

From everything I have read and researched only a few became trading posts, then it was an issue with the local Indian tribes and keeping peace. The French were known for shady dealings that could set off problems, freekin' French .... :rolleyes: 😉

Those that survived became towns some kept the rendezvous original name while others change the sites name. Good example is Fort Hall, Rivertown and so on .... same name. :coffee:

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to research my question. I'm always interested in the habits of our Native American Indians and the western fur trade development.

Latest posts

Back