Elite @ the Dinger Farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Got to the farm again this morning... When I left the house is was sunny and right at 20 degrees - with very little wind. So I had great plans of setting up the chronograph - getting some velocities and complete sighting in the rifle... Oh! and shoot some of my newly acquired 41 cal 210 Gold Dots in Harvester Crush Ribs....

Got to the farm - it was still sunny - that is a good thing! - it felt much colder and as I expected the wind was blowing right up the draw...

Set the target at 50 yards moved all my stuff to my tailgate shooting table, setup the shooting bench and got ready to setup the chrono but it was really cold so I passed on the chrono there will be better days for that.

My first three shots were with the Hornady 40/200 grain XTP's but I used the Crush Rib sabot which is a little loose in my bore. I think you can see the results of the loose sabots (group #1).

Group #2 was with the Speer 41 cal 210 grain Gold Dots in Crush Ribs... They did not load the way I hoped they would. They were very tight at the crown and did seem to disort the tips of the petals as they disappered down the bore. In this gun with it's tight bore - I may be asking to much of the very thin CR sabots in a tight bore, however I am really anxious to try them in a 50 now as the sabots are much thicker and will have more polymere (thicker) to flex and fit the bore. From the target I can not complain to much about accuracy...

Group #3 - shot after a scope adjustment and I need to take all the credit for #5.. I knew before I pulled the trigger it did not feel right - but I shot anyway and see I was right - DANG!

1-7-10KDElite45.jpg

sabotloader-
so i take it your gonna be ordering some 41cal. gold dots are'nt cha
the crushribs are way to loose in my super-disc too,it likes the tan mmp's.
is the 110gr a standard load for that gun or just a good starting place.

Looks like you've got a real winner with those gold dots. If we get up to 20 degrees I've got to do some shooting too. Maybe next week.
Art

Looks like them GD's have got some potential. Nice shooting. I'll bet a lot of us are gonna do some shootin as soon as it warms up a little. I gotta get me one of them there .45's 8)

k

so i take it your gonna be ordering some 41cal. gold dots are'nt cha

Yes, I just got 3 boxes so it will be awhile. Sent one of the boxes off in the mail to a freind.

I am not toally sure that I will use them in the 45 Elite because the 40 cal sabot is so thin that loading down this 45 seems to stress them. The seem to load much better in the Extreme.

My next attempt will be loading and shooting them from a 50 cal.... the 5040 cal sabot offers a lot more ploymere and should not stress the sabot as much as I am doing in this 45 elite.

the crushribs are way to loose in my super-disc too,it likes the tan mmp's.

Yep, that is the sabot tht I normally use.
is the 110gr a standard load for that gun or just a good starting place.

TJJ

Maybe - Saturday or Monday if it goes as I think it will....

And if you try these I think you will find they load better in that 45 than this one....

sabotloader said:
Yes, I just got 3 boxes so it will be awhile. Sent one of the boxes off in the mail to a freind.

Thanks. :D I am going to be trying them in my .50 caliber DISC Original that has a loose bore with the .50/.40 CrushRibs. I am hoping it is a good combination as this gun loves .40 caliber 200 gr bullets.

jsteurrys

In that gun you might even need to use regular Harvesters... I kinda wish I had one of those bores...

I do not think that Harvester has a smooth .50/.40 sabot. I believe the MMP .50/.40 is going to be way too tight. Time will tell.

Back