Any "old" timers cut your own crown?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
Topic asks it all.Just curios on what you used,and how you did it.

Basically I bought my self an mil surplus rifle to "play with".I noticed the crown could use some help...for those who are going to nope its not counter bored. I have no gunsmith tools,and I'm far from being a smith
But I will do things my self :wink: So...how did you guys recrown your barrels?

Thanks

Cell

Yes you can redo your crown. However if redone incorrectly it will only make things worse. My advise would be to find a gunsmith that you trust and pay them to do it. If they screw it up its on them.

DC

Thanks for the reply.

This rifle cost me almost nothing...so fubaring it up a few times before I do it right will be o.k.
From what I hear about smith prices it would cost me more than the cost of the rifle...Lets just say this will be the rifle to learn some skills on.It has no collector value at all.Don't get me wrong I understand it is a specialty trade...just as with any trade.I would just like to get some feed back on how some members have done it.

Thanks.

Cell

Years ago i did a crown on a 7mm. What i used was a dull counter sink bit. Tried a sharp one, and it seemed to make for roughness. The dull one did a better job for some reason. Mayhap it was the angle, not the sharpness that made it work better. Had to crown the rifle, cuz i had cut the barrel shorter. That was back in the day, the boy got it in his brain that since we hunted Elk mostly in the jungle we should be packing short barreled rifles. The thing that amazed me the most was how accurate the rifle was after i did that work. Cut the barrel with a hack saw, and it wasn't square, so i had to file it square, then using the counter sink i made a crown that had no sharp edges where it met the rifling. When i shot it, and discovered it was a shooter, i filed on the trigger, and made what seemed like a 9# trigger into a fine fine trigger, and then it would sure shoot. Any way, i used a counter sink bit to make the crown, and it worked.

cell I did the same thing years ago with the screw set up/ slow and steady is the way to go

For many years i've been using some tools that my uncle made for me. They are ball bearings of various sizes with pieces of welding rods attached. i use valve grinding compound with those balls and they do great.

I recrowned an Encore after the barrel was cut down. Used nothing but a drill, a small grinding ball, patches, rubbing compound, and paper. Rifle was a tack driver afterward for both myself and the new owner.

Its not difficult but depending on what method you use a few of the correct and accurate tools are necessary for a good job.
The most important thing is that the end cut MUST be absolutely square for it to have a chance of shooting decent. It also needs to be polished smooth and have the corners taken off the edge of the bore in a manor the keeps it perfectly even.

Who are you calling "OLD"? I noticed that some were much quicker to answer. :lol:

I don't know if I am qualified to answer that, might be out of my age league, but I did a redneck recrowning job on one of my Knights a while back. Might be able to find it in the search? :wink:

Who are you calling "OLD"? I noticed that some were much quicker to answer. Laughing

I don't know if I am qualified to answer that, might be out of my age league, but I did a redneck recrowning job on one of my Knights a while back. Might be able to find it in the search? Wink

Lol. Was wondering when I'd catch hell for that.

Thanks Ill see if I can find it.

Cell

Back