45 cal DISC Ext+200 grain Lehighs+the Rock Pit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well, i was determined to shoot today no matter what the temp... Took the 45 DISC Extreme and headed to Little Boulder Rock Pit.

The 'mission' - I really want to shoot the 200 grain Lehigh vs the 185's from this gun accurately. I had already tried 120 grains of T7-2f and really was less than impressed. Then a few weeks ago I shot 100 grains of T7-2f in the 45 cal DISC Elite and they stacked in very well at 75 yards. So today I decided to try 110 grains T7-2f and 100 yards.

I placed a scope target on the 100 yard target board and I placed 10 clay pigeons on the rock wall behind and above the target. Probably ended up shooting 25 shots today, and yes I really did try to wait to give the barrel a chance to cool. As i went through Deary the temp was posted as 87 on a sign so it was probably easily 90 in the rock pit.

Really do not have much to show for my trip other than my personal satisfaction that I believe I have a viable hunting load and bullet for this fall, well at least at a 100 yards.

My first two shots were into the target to confirm where the gun might be shooting. 2" right/2" high... I was determined not to adjust the scope in that kind of heat but I did, adjust the scope POI left. The two shots were really close to 1" group. That was close enough for me for right now and I was bored shooting paper. Turned my attention to the pigeons.

7 shots - 7 broken birds, but I did notice two of them tumble to their broke pieces. I really believe I was shooting just a tad high and adjusted my hold to where the cross-hairs were right on the bottom of the bird.... no tumbles after that... Finally decided to take a picture as I was having fun and also it would allow more time for the barrel to cool.

7-10RockPit.jpg

If you look over the target board on the left you can see the three remaining birds. Got them with the next three shots.

After completing the ten birds I probably wasted another 10 Lehighs shooting chips of broken birds that I could find through the scope on the rock wall.

I am pretty much satisfied that I will be in the field with the 45 DExtreme and a 200 grain Lehigh this fall looking for Mr. Big Buck (whitetail)

Awesome shooting! Hopefully the Lehigh lives up to the hype when it impacts that big buck.

SW

I am also hoping the same thing... but from what I found I really believe they will...

I am really tempted to shoot a few 'peepers' with them just for drill.

that is some impressive shooting. It will be interesting to see how they work in the field on game this fall...

SWThomas said:
Awesome shooting! Hopefully the Lehigh lives up to the hype when it impacts that big buck.

I see no reason it wouldn't. Do you suspect otherwise??

Batchief909 said:
SWThomas said:

I see no reason it wouldn't. Do you suspect otherwise??

Not really. I'm just skeptical of products until they prove themselves in the field. It seems to be an accurate bullet. I just don't like that it's designed to fragment on impact. But hey, it may work just fine.

SW

Just a thought to pass on - after the Lehigh sheds it petals which become mini bullets in their own right (within the confines of the vitals) - the bullet that is left is a somewhat copy of the the old Kieth Nose bullet, continuing to penetrate and most often will exit in a broadside shot.

I found this information about the Keith nose which might explain the operation somewhat better than I can....

When used for hunting, the heavy bullets provide excellent penetration; they are often used on dangerous game, for which more reliable penetration than is possible with expanding hollow point or soft point bullets is required. The relatively sharp edges of the flat nose and shoulder cut tissue, rather than pushing it aside like a typical round nosed bullet, which results in more tissue damage and faster incapacitation of the target

The Lehigh bullet is designed to do exactly what the original Remington Copper Solids slugs did in game. Those slugs were the best sabot slugs I ever used on deer. DRT on all deer but a big 8 point that managed to turn around and run 20 feet before falling over. If the Lehigh works in game as designed I have no doubt it will be a good bullet.

I have no doubt it is accurate or that it will do its job on any animal. But so will a whole lot of other bullets at half the price.

Inrecordbookbuck

accurate or that it will do its job on any animal. But so will a whole lot of other bullets at half the price.

I totally agree with you... i believe there really are also, but i also think the bullets like the Lehigh, Nosler, and Barnes give you a little more room for error. Not that i want the error but in my neck of the woods there a lots of little things that can aid a varible that already exist in muzzleloader hunting.

So just for me the added cost is worth the added insurance... although in most instances you may not need it.

sabotloader said:
Inrecordbookbuck

accurate or that it will do its job on any animal. But so will a whole lot of other bullets at half the price.

I totally agree with you... i believe there really are also, but i also think the bullets like the Lehigh, Nosler, and Barnes give you a little more room for error. Not that i want the error but in my neck of the woods there a lots of little things that can aid a varible that already exist in muzzleloader hunting.

So just for me the added cost is worth the added insurance... although in most instances you may not need it.

I agree with that statement. That's the main reason I shoot Barnes. I know the bullet is going to hold together even if it hits bone. I've seen way too many jacketed bullets fragment all to hell when they hit bone and sometimes even if they don't hot bone. I'm very curious to see what people think of the Lehighs come deer season. :)

ive tested the 200 lehighs in the sand trap and they performed just like lehighs pictures on the website. I even found a few of the pedals. The pedels themself weight 5" + Up in my sand trap. I found a couple a few inches off the bottom of my sand box. Those pedals do travel!

Back