tc power rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracker1

Reaction score
i had been looking at this ramrod for my muzzleloader. it has a handle at the end that folds when in the gun but opens to a T handle for easy loading. for those who have one do you have to screw a fitting on the end that goes into the gun to load bullets?

It depends what bullet you use. If you use a polimer pointed tip, yes you will need an adapter. The older, discontinued power rods had a brass adapter built in but they stopped making them because of patent infringements.

I use one for some of my shooting, range sessions and hunting. I use a jag at the range. I have re-loaded after a shot while hunting, with just the rod. Worked fine for me. After inspecting the bullets loaded with just the rod, it didn't appear to have damaged the polymer tip. Your loading pressure may effect the tip if your load is a really tight fitting. I only use this technique for a fast reload while hunting.

Just take a 1/8th drill bit and drill the center of your jag out to the depth you need. No need to purchase a special jag to load the polymer tipped bullets.

I got one of those with my Endeavor and found it not to be as convenient as my normal method of setting a rod up to take a loading jag on the "other" end so it sits in the gun cabinet.

Batchief909 said:
Just take a 1/8th drill bit and drill the center of your jag out to the depth you need. No need to purchase a special jag to load the polymer tipped bullets.
that sounds like a good idea.

When T/C bought the right to the XS Sights Power Rod, they cheapened it IMO. They no longer use the brass tip that allows you to load pointed bullets without engaging the threads in the end of the rod. The problem with just putting any tip on the end of the rod, is most loading jags are too large of a diameter to fit through the thimbles. So you would either have to screw it on each time you load in the field, or find/make one the right diameter. Then you will have an issue of the rod being too long, and sticking past your barrel.

You could make a smaller diameter tip by cutting down the length of a jag extension, just use the part that is the same diameter as the rod. Then drill out the center for the bullet tip. With this method, you would also need to cut down the rod and re-drill and tap for the jag if you want a flush fit on your rifle. Another easy and cheap option would be to relieve the internal threads in the rod back a little ways, just not too far that it would hinder screwing in an extended jag for cleaning/swabbing.

Or, you could try to convince someone with a XS/Knight Power Rod to sell you theirs. In my case, I would have to be dead before you could convince me to let go of any of mine. These rods are as scarce as hens teeth, but can still be found occasionally. You could place a WTB ad, and see if you get any takers. I actually seen one for sale in the last year.

I have a few of the Knight marketed Power Rods by XS Sights, and they are excellent rods. These came in 22", 24", and 26" that I know of. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll shut up now.

068.jpg

061.jpg

063.jpg

065.jpg

Yup, thats the one I was talking about. Dont know why they stopped making them??? My buddie has one. He sold his muzzleloader but wont part with the rod.

You are right on Busta. I use to have three of the Knight power rods. I had two 26" rods and one 22". I sold one of my 26" rods to a forum member. I kind of wish I would have kept it and made a 24 inch rod out of it to use on my mk-85's. Instead I just put a short extension on it to use it on 24 inch barrels. I am happy to have the two I do have.
Art
________
Find Headshop

Franksauto said:
.... Dont know why they stopped making them??? ....

T/C, that's why. They bought the rights to the Power Rod from XS Sight Systems. That left Knight out of the loop, and T/C made it cheaper, and sold it for more. You could call Knight and see if they have any of the brass rod inserts left? Never know? That would make the T/C rod about an inch longer, or you could cut the rod and re-drill and tap for the threaded INSERT IGNORE so it would fit your rifle.

Have you seen the chinsey one T/C makes with a hollow aluminum shaft that has a T-Handle? You cut it to length, then glue/crimp an INSERT IGNORE in? No thanks!

I ordered a TC power rod, tried it and quickly let it go. It ain't worth the hassle. A golf ball ball with a hole in it and a solid aluminum ramrod works much better.

I hope TC/S&W is reading this thread. The people have spoken! Bring the old power rod back!!!!!

I like to drill and tap the other end of the rod and leave the jag on; when I need something on the end of the rod and I am not using my range rod I have a wood ball about the size of a golf ball I picked up at the craft store and bored a hole just big enough that it would slip over the ramrod to load tight loads with. I have tried everything on the market and all that I heard of and this is what works for me.
The jag left on the ramrod bothers nothing and is right where you need it for reloading when hunting as long as you put it on the big end the small end is what needs to go through the ferules.
While I do not like it the I believe that the one that came with the Endeavor is solid but with that flip over T handle you can not use that end for a loading jag and if you make one that will fit the ferules it is to small to clean with so you would have to switch them all the time.

Back