Take off scope to clean?Or not?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
Who takes their scope of to clean the barrel?How about when using boiling water?

Thanks

Cell

I take the scopes off my rifles when I clean them. I just find it easier to clean. On my inlines I do not water bath them, but my traditional rifles I do. Warne makes an excellent quick release ring.

I figured it was o.k. to do it.When I posted this I was trying to figure out why I was shooting bad today.I found the answer later today...I posted about it in the other forum.

Thanks

Cell

Well...Last week I took the scope off to clean.Went to the range today to check it,and it was way off.Like 12 inches to low.I talked the range master in letting me going to the pistol end where the targets are 20 yards.My poi was at the bottom of the target :? Moved the scope up,and was hitting bulls at 20 yards,then I went to the rifle end at 50 yards.I was a little low about 5 inches or so.I moved the scope up some clicks,and Im about 3 inches above at 50...I called it good after that.Maybe tomorrow Ill go back and see what it is at 100 yards....should be pretty much right on I think?

So...I would say taking the scope off will work with a good base,and rings.I have a cheaper base,and rings tho,and don't recommend it.

Shooting a traditions pursuit xlt with 85 grains of t7 3f(no crud ring with a t7 primer).With a 230 grain xtp.On a dirty barrel,and 2 inch groups.(been concentrating on my flinch problem...seems to be working.I also changed my grip on the rifle,also seems to be working).

Good times...

Cell

Latest posts

Back