My Blackhorn findings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spence

Reaction score
In the past, I had tried Blackhorn, briefly. I say briefly because I was getting misfires or hang fires and said "no way" Can't have that going on when I get a crack at a big boy. I asked for suggestions and much of your advice was dead on! I am shooting a CVA Kodiak w/ T7 and Barnes TMZ's and more recently TEZ's. Always was looking for an easy loading bullet that was accurate so I could get a second shot loaded w/ out spit patching. Just in case. Well the first thing I tried today was to "crush" that bullet down into the Blackhorn! BINGO! Even though my sabot/ bullet combo was easy loading. If I crush that bullet down hard into the Blackhorn, it went off every time. Proceeded to shoot TEZ's, Shockwaves, and XTP's just for experimentation, and they all went boom and shot near same POI ! Used the Federal 209A primers. This is the first time for several things that made my range time more enjoyable. Never ran a patch between shots! Let alone 1 damp and 2 dry. Never felt any crud ring build up! When I was done, I could see light clearly thru my breech plug hole. I quickly ran a wet Hoppes patch and 2 dry patches when I was done, but the idea that my gun wouldn't corrode if I waited a day or two to clean it was cool. I have been getting rust spots from the T7 residue. Then I started flushing the whole barrel with warm water in the sink and that cleaned it up more thoroughly. Now I believe this is a great product. I think you can add the CVA Kodiak to the sticky list of proven Blackhorn compatables. Seat your bullets HARD. Even if your bullet doesn't fit tight. Because the bullets consistantly went down the bore, I can experiment with tighter fitting bullet/sabot combo's. But I do like the Barnes design. I believe it is dual purpose. If you shoot the heart/lung area , it opens wide and at low velocity. If you take the high shoulder shot, this bullet still packs the rear portion of the bullet design to crush through bone and stay intact. I like that option. Thanks again guys. Great place to learn the craft!

Back