Down the road from me

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went hugged a adult Bengal tiger in a cage, without fear, but will never get down to Florida cause snake is my worst nightmare.Lucky that I live in a cold section of America with almost 6 month of winter.
Moose1

well said cayuga. i agree with all of that. this state (fl) has a lot of non native wildlife runnin loose all over it. there is also a very good size group of wild monkeys here in fl. they are mostly in ocala they escaped years ago from a park called silver springs, they were brought there by the person who owned the place he put them on a island and was gonna use them as part of the atraction well he didnt know they could swim and by the next mornin they were gone!now they strech from tampa all the way to the bamma line but 90% of them are still around the park area, we've seen them a couple of times here in daytona along the river when fishin. thye acually attack people not the person but there food and what ever else they can grab when people go to certin parts on the river where they live they get onto and into their boats and just steal anything they can plus people go there to feed them too. google up the silver springs monkey's you'll see!

I never knew about the monkeys... that is too much. Is it legal to shoot them? You would think they could be baited in and slaughtered. Even if you did not get them all you could knock the population down a lot. That or because of PITA, capture them and sterilize them so they could not breed.

we have a fair amount of rattlesnakes in nc. we used to see them in the uwharrie mountain area all the time. I believe they are now illegal to kill. I wish I had eaten the one i killed, they skin out easier then peeeling a banana. gut sac basically just falls out and you are left with a solid snow white tube of meat. The most big rattlers i have ever seen was in Darrien Ga. The road was covered with them at night.

Horsefly
I have seen the monkies and they can be aggressive
our state is covered with invasive species of all sorts
plant and animal
from what I have been told the feral hogs are not native
don't know if it's true but I heard it
we now have peacock bass and the japanise snake fish displacing native fish
I agree with Dave that this has to stop

I'm with you moose1
I can handle most anything but a snake

saxman the hogs were brought with the spanyards (sp) on there ships when they came here. you want some interestin readin on hogs look up these, http://www.texasboars.com/articles/mulefoot.html here is some pics of there hooves,
DSC02161.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

i've seen the tracks of them here in daytona area where i hunt hogs and have gotten to see one in person that another hunter had killed, and he just thought it was just had deformed hooves, we also had a warden pull up when i was helpin him load it and he told him all about them also and says that they are kinda a trophy to some people cause they are VERY rare in fl. aslo if you see or kill hogs with red hair (i'll look for a artical and post it) they are true direct decendants of the spanish hogs all other color hogs as black and black and white, gold or black and gold have been bread with farm and or captive somewhere sometime along the life lines. here is my red the only one i've had a chance to get. she wasnt a pure red as you can see but dang neer 50%
100_0094.jpg

100_0089.jpg

and here is a black and gold i got he is all wet from hosin the mud off him but if he wa dry in the pic the gold would really show up i should have mounted him wish i did he had great gold color.
100_0058.jpg

100_0057.jpg

i'm all about huntin hogs i much rather hunt them than deer and perfer the meat over deer, but dont get me wrong i still love deer huntin and eatin. you ever hunt matanzas wma for hogs?

I shot one with my bow last season but didn't recover it
never had anymore come in after that but I do like to hunt them and the meat is very good

I live near Cumberland island and they are covered up with them
I put in for a hunt there hope I get it

thanks for the link, I'll check it out
I have never hunted that WMA
I hope to hunt Guana lakes
my buddy killed a bruiser out there
he had alot of Russian in him

saxman1 said:
never had anymore come in after that but I do like to hunt them and the meat is very good

I hunted Cumberland Island several years ago for hogs. The success rate was not very good for the whole group of hunters. They did not tell us there were professional hunters on the island before our hunt. Their main goal was to kill as many hogs as they could and were allowed to use just about any method to do it including hunting them at night. Hopefully the population rebounded. They are also very proud of their deer herd on the island however the majority of the deer live on the part of the island you can not hunt. The island is loaded with armadillos and a small population of wild horses.

fliowa said:
saxman1 said:

I hunted Cumberland Island several years ago for hogs. The success rate was not very good for the whole group of hunters. They did not tell us there were professional hunters on the island before our hunt. Their main goal was to kill as many hogs as they could and were allowed to use just about any method to do it including hunting them at night. Hopefully the population rebounded. They are also very proud of their deer herd on the island however the majority of the deer live on the part of the island you can not hunt. The island is loaded with armadillos and a small population of wild horses.

Yes sir they have a pro hunter there year round
Thats who I plan on hunting with.
I met him at a Jazz festival that Amelia has every year and we became friends somewhat.We talk about once a month.
They have a good deer and turkey population as well but the turkey's are off limits. :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back