General Questions:

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaterDog88

Reaction score
Hey all first post here. I have enjoyed the forum and am glad I found it. I just got into black powder a few years ago so I would consider myself a novice at best. I bought an Omega 2 years ago and played around with some different loads. The current load I am shooting is 90gr of 777 pellets and a 295gr power belt. I have elected to shoot open sight b/c of personal preference. My range that I sighted this gun in at is only a 50 yard range but that?s ok because most of my shots are in the woods and under 75yrds. I have not had a chance to hunt with this gun yet because I tagged before ML season both years I had it so my questions are:
1) Is the power belt a good bullet for deer in your opinion? I had a guy tell me he doesn?t like them at all.
2)I'm hitting 1 1/2 to 2in high dead center at 50 yards. When or if I shoot at 100 do you think that I will be low, or right about on? I wouldn?t shoot at a deer at that range unless I did it on paper first...
3)I've have been using T/C products to clean my rifle and I keep it spotless after I use it, but are there other products you guys would recommend?
I don?t have many buddies that are into the black powder so my recourses are limited in that area, but it is defiantly something I will be doing a lot of this year since I am in grad school and my only real chance to hunt will be the ML season over my Christmas break. Thanks for any input and advice.
John

The Powerbelt is fine. Some dont like them because of the price and if they are pushed to hard, they will fragment ( soft lead & hollow points dont mix well)

If you cut your load back to 1 50gr pellet and 1 30gr pellet, the performance will to much better.

While the power belt can be made to work by keeping the load down you can buy a Lehigh, a Nosler Partition or a Barnes for the same price. If you really want or need to shoot a conical the is the FPB or the Thor.
Most of us much prefer a sabot-ed bullet but the conical will do the job.

Latest posts

Back