Scope for Optima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter8282

Reaction score
I was thinking of going with a new Redfield Revolution scope with the Accu-range reticle for my new Optima. http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

Almost all of my hunting shots would be between 50 to 150yds. I do hunt some open fields so there is potential for longer shots, but I try and limit myself to my comfortable range. Trying to decide on getting the 2x7x33 or the 3x9x40. I have 3x9 on my .270rifle and almost never have it turned up passed 6/7 for hunting, usually 4/5 is sufficient.

Will I loose a lot of light transmission by going with a 7mm smaller objective lens?

I was also thinking of going with the Warne Maxima bases and Quick detach rings ( http://www.warnescopemounts.com/quick_detach.html ) so that I could leave the fiber optic sights in place and shoot them if I wanted to or went somewhere to hunt that didn't allow scopes or magnified scopes on muzzleloaders.

In general, what do you think of this setup and which scope would you go with and why?

Thanks!

Redfield makes a very nice scope. Not so sure about the accurange reticle as none of the "cartridges" listed on the website equates to a muzzleloader. I would problably just go with the regular crosshairs. as for power it is completely your choice and how you want your rifle to look. as you stated is is very rare that you need anymore than 4X in a hunting situation. Good call on the mounts.

The Warne bases & rings are a great choice, quick disconnect or the lower cost permanent type. I don't know much about the scope, have read some of the new articles about them. I think it would be fine. Another in the same price range is the Burris Fullfield II, 2-7, or 3-9. FYI a guy has a NIB Leupold vari-x-III for sale in migunownwers.org for around $300. Now that is a second to none M-L scope.

Scope

Take a look at the Bushnell Trophy XLT DOA-250 for your ML. Very nice scope for $138.00 at Midsouth. $149 with shipping. Also look at Durasight Z2 Integral base and rings. Very solid and good prices. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

I like the ring set up you mention. I use them and they always come back to zero for me. Never had much luck with Redfield scopes. The first scope I owned was a Redfield. I don't own it any more. Enough said.

the 2-7x32mm scope is a great choice. I use them on all but a couple of my rifles. Like you, 150 yards is the long shot of they day. In fact I never yet have shot a muzzleloader, AT AN ANIMAL past 90 yards. The 32mm gathers excellent light, and since some of them are made for shotgun and muzzleloader, they are tough. My favorite is the Nikon Pro Staff. I have then on three rifles. I own more expensive scopes on other rifles, but do not own better ones. Just a great scope at a great price.

cayuga,
From what I have heard, the old Redfield scopes were not that good at all. They reopened the company this year and are owned by Leupold now and the Redfields are their "budget" line of scopes I guess you'd say. All the reviews on Cabelas are 5-star. I've looked through on and was impressed. And they have lifetime warranty backed by Leupold.

Wild turkey,
I as thinking about the accu-range reticle just for the additional aiming points that I would then have to figure out what yardage they hit at with the whatever load I decide to go with. I kind of like the center circle also for those quick shots.

GM54-120 said:
The new Redfield Revolution series are very nice for the money and are Made in USA.

I like the 2x7x33. It will probably be the next scope i buy.

http://www.redfield.com/_media/download ... 7x33mm.pdf

Scott

Scott,
Yep that's the exact one I am looking at for my new Optima. Which reticle do you like?

Seems like there's enough eye relief there right?

Thanks!

I just went and looked at the scope. Very nice. I think that Accu-range reticle is not worth the extra $10.00 but the straight cross hair is nice. Once you learn the drop you have no problems. If all my shots were extreme long range I might flip the extra $10.00 but where I hunt 50 yards is a long shot.

I do like the length being 11 inches. That normally means the rear sight can stay. 3.7 eye relief is plenty. And it is a nice weight also. Plus of course made by who it is, and the guarantee... they have themselves a nice looking scope for the muzzleloader market. If I was not so cheap, I would try one...

Hunter8282 said:
GM54-120 said:
The new Redfield Revolution series are very nice for the money and are Made in USA.

I like the 2x7x33. It will probably be the next scope i buy.

http://www.redfield.com/_media/download ... 7x33mm.pdf

Scott

Scott,
Yep that's the exact one I am looking at for my new Optima. Which reticle do you like?

Seems like there's enough eye relief there right?

Thanks!

IMO the eye relief is probably just fine. Currently i have a Swift Premier 2x7x40 WA with a bit less BUT at 2x i can pick up a target very quickly. The bit longer relief "should" make it even easier than mine.

Either recticle should be fine but since they dont offer a version for 45/70 type ballistics, the accu range wont be very useful. Probably wouldnt hurt either IF you ever wanted to put it on a centerfire at a later time.

Ive seen them in person and they appear to be very well built even compared to more costly scopes.

Scott

Thanks for all the replies gents! I am going to go with the 2x7x33mm for the Optima. Still waffling a little on the reticle. Guess it'll be a game time decision

I guess there's a chance I might move it to my Rem 870 cantilevered slug barrel in the future, but if it's working good, it most likely will live it out it's days as the optic for the Optima.

Now to figure out what Warne base and rings I need. Probably can get away with low profile Maxima steel bases (looks like M980/980) and low quick detach rings (200LM) with the 33mm objective right?

Thanks again!

I don't know if you will be able to get away with the low mounts. The low mounts will work with the scope but you might have to bear down with lots of cheek pressure in order to see through the scope. don't be afraid to bounce up to med rings for a little more relaxed view through the scope. I like the simpler reticle and I am not sure that the dots will line up to be useful with you muzzle loaders load and bullet combo.

The website you provided refernces cartridges that work with this scope and the dots. Unless I missed it I don't see Muzzle loader with X grains of powder and X grains bullet.

http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

Hunter8282 said:
Thanks for all the replies gents! I am going to go with the 2x7x33mm for the Optima. Still waffling a little on the reticle. Guess it'll be a game time decision

I guess there's a chance I might move it to my Rem 870 cantilevered slug barrel in the future, but if it's working good, it most likely will live it out it's days as the optic for the Optima.

Now to figure out what Warne base and rings I need. Probably can get away with low profile Maxima steel bases (looks like M980/980) and low quick detach rings (200LM) with the 33mm objective right?

Thanks again!

If you want the Accu-Range Reticle, I surely wouldn't let the idea of no ballistic chart for a muzzleloader stop you. You are the one that will determine where the dots go, and depending on the power setting, you can dial them in.

Just sight the crosshair in for 100 yards, and use it just like the Leupold Ultimate Slam. The top of the circle will be for ranges closer than 100, the bottom of the circle will be your next setting beyond 100 yards, the dot the next setting, and the point on the post your next setting.

If you sight the crosshair in for 100 yards, dead nuts, you just shoot at 150, 200, or ANY range using the crosshairs. Shoot a group at any of these ranges using the crosshairs....your bullet will drop low at say 150 yards....then all you need to do is hold your crosshairs on the 150 yard bull and dial your power bell to whatever setting you would like....then check the bottom of the circle or dot to see which comes closest at the actual group in your target. Do the same thing for any other range, make a chart and tape it to your scope or stock.

It is so easy, even a caveman can do it. :wink:

I have a couple of the Leupold Ultimate Slam Scopes, you can use the Redfield the same way, once you shoot at other ranges and determine the drop.

Busta,
That's exactly how I was thinking I would use the Accu-range reticle.

Thanks

WildTurkey said:
I don't know if you will be able to get away with the low mounts. The low mounts will work with the scope but you might have to bear down with lots of cheek pressure in order to see through the scope. don't be afraid to bounce up to med rings for a little more relaxed view through the scope. I like the simpler reticle and I am not sure that the dots will line up to be useful with you muzzle loaders load and bullet combo.

WT,
I like how the gun shoulders and my eye lines right up with the open fiber optic sites really comfortably with solid but not lots of cheek pressure. That's why I was thinking I'd like to keep the scope as low as possible to the barrel. I've always thought it's best to get the scope as close to the barrel anyways.

Thanks

As long as the back of the scope does not interfere with the trigger, and you can get your thumb in there and the 209 capper, I see no reason for the low mount rings.

I just mounted a 2-7X33 scope in low rings on my Optima. I had to take off the rear sight but I have plenty of room to cock the hammer when using the hammer extension.

Nimrodder.... that was my concern. Not trigger, I meant to type hammer. I bet that looks nice on that Optima.

Latest posts

Back