Wads for .50 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well I got the LEE R.E.A.L bullet mold 320 grain a lot of key holing, and up to 1 foot off target. Found out wads are needed this ends the bad accuracy, key holing. Question is for those that cut their own wads, I know 1/2 inch cutter is well small, but does fair I am wondering if stepping in size not to exceed say 14mm or 9/16 would serve better? Anyone with experience with the LEE R.E.A.L with wads could shed a little light? Hey thank you all in Advance....

I use heavy skirting leather wads. The leather seals wonderfully because they are so thick, and will absorb oil like nothing else... and will really stop flame cutting or patch blow-out. 1/2" punch works perfectly.

Hey fanboy, I changed my wads to very close to 9/16. I had an old 1/2" socket ( the cheep one) and ground out the center to the wall, then sharpened the outer rim and inner rim getting very close to the 9/16 I wanted. This fits tightly and works with the ball n patch for heavy loads, I plan on a try with my real 320 gr. Casts. How hard are you pushing them as I heard they don't do well over hot loads, at least I never got them to do at all well as I was useing 90 gr. of goex. I am going to try with 60 or 70grs. and the wad to try to get some kind of accuracy.

Hey fanboy, I changed my wads to very close to 9/16. I had an old 1/2" socket ( the cheep one) and ground out the center to the wall, then sharpened the outer rim and inner rim getting very close to the 9/16 I wanted. This fits tightly and works with the ball n patch for heavy loads, I plan on a try with my real 320 gr. Casts. How hard are you pushing them as I heard they don't do well over hot loads, at least I never got them to do at all well as I was useing 90 gr. of goex. I am going to try with 60 or 70grs. and the wad to try to get some kind of accuracy.
I am at 70 grains but had no wads, there is my issue. I was looking at wads 100 @ $10-$15 then ship on top, I was like eh Cutter is like $9 and the felt is $9 put in some pound time I save huge $$$ by my 3rd cutting. I was confused on my research, some say 1/2 wad if lube used others 9/16 dry or lubed, I guess like all black powder one has to find their SWEET SPOT, that wrings the accuracy out best for them...

I use heavy skirting leather wads. The leather seals wonderfully because they are so thick, and will absorb oil like nothing else... and will really stop flame cutting or patch blow-out. 1/2" punch works perfectly.
Thanks, Leather Wads?? feeds my inquisitive side, I have heard 1/8 inch thick felt. But the leather is a new material for me. Ya makes me works and sees the difference, have to do the testing felt vs leather I am a curious crispy...hahahahahahahaha

I have heard of leather, wasp nest, cotton balls ect. I use the duo felt and punch mine to 9/16" for the 50 cal., and 5/8" for the 54 they fit tight and stand up well to the 90 gr. 3f I use in the 54. On another note I got to utube for a video of shooting the lee real bullet and he was shooting 70gr. and at 50 yds. was doing very well with them. 1:48 twist bbl. I was miffed because I have had 3 1:48 barrels on 3 different rifles and did terrible no matter what load I used. 1st was a t/c 50 in 1975 and then a custom douglas barrel, then a green mountain barrel but that was a 1:70 twist. a traditions 1:48 and a cva 1:48 all not liking them. Besides I shoot to 100 yds. not 50 the 1:48s shot the ball n patch better than the real, but I'm still going to try.

Well I went to the range and used my wads and started at 60 gr. of goex, then 70 gr. next was 80 gr. I gave up the rifle doesn't like the real bullet. This time I used tallow lube then tallow with mink oil, then just crisco nothing worked very well. Bullets all weighed to 1 gr. each all cast with soft lead. Don't think I'll waste any more time on this one and mark another barrel won't shoot them very well. 4" groups with some fliers at 50yds. and 6 to 8" at 100yds. with some fliers is not good.

With a TC hawken 70& 80 gr. 2f I load the 320 real directly on powder no wad & shoots fine. I do put SPG lube on the bullet but I know its a good barrel.

With a TC hawken 70& 80 gr. 2f I load the 320 real directly on powder no wad & shoots fine. I do put SPG lube on the bullet but I know its a good barrel.
Have you grouped? if so I am wondering MOA, group size I was about a foot, with key holing directly on top of powder with lubed 320 real. CVA Hawken (percussion) Now that could have been my charge also I was at 100 grains pyrodex, it is just easier for me to get hands on.

Latest posts

Back