The trouble with a White Rifle..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Today I had an urge to shoot. So I was looking at my wall of bullets, sabots, etc and could not decided what I really wanted to test. Then I saw a little white box I had marked as BISON .503 . These were some bull shop .5045 conicals I ran through my sizer for my White Bison to shoot. These were 500 grain conicals. So my decision on plastic and lead VS copper or brass was made. Lets shoot a White.

Last time I shot the Bison I had some ignition problems as the RWS caps are smaller then most and I was getting a "set the cap" strike then a fire. I had purchased 1000 CCI Magnum caps and decided.. try the Bison in hot weather and the new caps.

I then checked my notes and saw that I was pushing the Bison at 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f last time. :roll: So I decided to push that up 10 more grains to 90 grains.

Out to my range on crutches was not fun, but I promised the doctor I would behave.. :twisted: So the stand was at 30 yards on the edge of the lawn and I figured that was good enough. I should point out, the Bison has a expensive $29.00 Simmons 4X Pro Diamond scope on it with some Traditions rings.

bison001.jpg

On a clean barrel the first shot was low. I then fired five more and swabbed. After that I fired five more and swabbed really good. That large hole is a ten shot group. Not too bad for a White that cost me $100.00 and a $30.00 scope. With that load I think a deer would be in trouble around my house.

After I swabbed I down charged the rifle to 60 grains. (believe it or not 90 grains of powder and that conical does have a little recoil to it. 60 is much more shooter friendly) I swabbed really good, wanting the White to have a fair chance. I picked out a new point of aim at a green square. The first shot again just a little low. The rest were doing real well I thought.

bison003.jpg

Using the CCI Mag caps, the gun never misfired, and ignition was very fast. It was 82 degree out there although in the sun it felt a lot hotter. But overall shooting the White is a nice way to relax.

500g Bullshop and 90g of powder :shock:

You keep that up and you're going to need a sling to go with those crutches. :lol:

nah! Whites are made to handle it!

Dave might not be in his weakened condition though. :wink:

Boring,,,,ain't it Dave... 8)

Get rid of that T7 stuff and use 3F Swiss. It'll get even more boring. 8)

I shot off all my Swiss 3f so until the next powder order its Triple Seven 2f. BUT the rifle seems to like the stuff. That 90 grains had a good bark to it.

I know whut you are saying about them White's,sure don't need a big target
Dave You finally get that knee fixed?
Redclub

They refused to do the surgey yet. I've been waiting on them to just do it and get it over with. I am getting tired of not being able to do anything. Plus the knee went out over the 4th when I decided to stain the front porch floor (I might have over did it a little) plus I was lifting a picnic table around that day... so I am still waiting for the doctor to do his thing.

Back