Vintage cva double 12 gauge build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
I bought a unopened kit last week just for something to do coming out a little better than I thought. Have a couple tweaks like heating hammers to line up nipples I haven't decided on barrel finish I'm thinking heating barrels and doing a boiled linseed oil finish ? I might get ambitious and checker the stock never tried before but since it's just a kit gun might be a good learning candidate. I has to completely go thru both locks clean and polish to get working well,quite a bit of wood to be removed and the tang needed a lot of fitting for everything to fit correctly I will need just a tad of glass bed to make sure it's all snug.

Attachments

• 20200401_161032.jpg
    20200401_161032.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20200401_160956.jpg
    20200401_160956.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20200401_160914.jpg
    20200401_160914.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20200401_160908.jpg
    20200401_160908.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20200401_160600.jpg
    20200401_160600.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 20200401_160620.jpg
    20200401_160620.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200401_160611.jpg
    20200401_160611.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 20200401_160629.jpg
    20200401_160629.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
I had one of these when they first came out years ago (talk about a kicker), sold it now wish I had kept the gun.

What you have done looks really good Lou, nice shotgun.

time.moves.jpg

Thanks for the comment I bent the hammers into alignment with the nipples last night probably will bed tang tonite then I will shoot it asap probably will use round ball at first !

I think 475 shipped little pricey but what can you do ! Not sure but a slip on pad will work or maybe I'll install one ?

Are those made by Pietta or some maker in Spain? Reason I'm asking is because I have one made by Pietta and she do kicks a bit although not as much as the early lightweight Pedersoli. I put a slip-on de-celerator pad on it and now is lots easier to shoot. Some of the lock parts interchange with Pedersoli parts and the Pedersoli parts are made of real sturdy steel. VTI had the parts (bridles) and they had the same part #. I did a test fit using my Pedersoli bridles and they fit perfectly. So, ordered one for each side and now have a working Pietta that kicks less than the Pedersoli. Just a FYI.

Made in Spain thanks for the info ! I'm planning on shooting .690 round ball out of it just to see how it shoots then I'll put some trap loads together we usually shoot black powder trap once a week when weather is cooler here in Arizona but with all of this going on who knows when I'll be able to do that ! Stay safe thanks!!

There's a good little pamphlet on shooting black powder by V.M. Star. This is something written back in the 1800's. He advocates using just an overpowder wad with no cushion. Logic is that shot gets stuck in the soft cushion wad. It is a "sticky" over on another group I belong to. Jut google V.M. Star. Good read.

Powder than a hard card(over powder) than a cushion then an over shot card then shot and fineally another over shot card.
Also on some CVA shotguns a 10 ga over shot works better . Tighter

Hit the patten board. If you find using cushion results in a doughnut patten, the cushion wad is blowing through the shot, switch to 3 or so cards, and see the difference. I am able to peel my wads in half, squeeze a little grease (bear, and sweet oil, bees wax) into the fiber, and with a card over he powder, cushion, then shot, I get about the same pattern as using just 3-4 cards. Again, the pattern board is your friend. I use a dbl. 10 ga. Pedersoli, a single bbl. TC, and a 12 ga. flint, two of which I've posted. This works for me, you milage may vary......

Danny Caywood (Caywood Longrifles) had a nice wirte-up years ago of how he loads his fowlers etc., especially for turkey, and I followed his suggestions to good effect.

Last edited:
Powder than a hard card(over powder) than a cushion then an over shot card then shot and fineally another over shot card.
Also on some CVA shotguns a 10 ga over shot works better . Tighter
I slice a .135" nitro card in half for over shot. That real thin overshot wad worries me. Had one come loose and all the shot ran out between my feet. Doesn't spoil the pattern. Tight is right!

for 40+ years they have all come through kit or completed gun with PLAIN JANE WOOD, but the stocks always look KILLER I rely like them. I have one that I bought 45 yrs ago from them when they were in HADDAM, CONN, when the guy worked out of his garage, before they moved to I believe to GEORGIA? used ones on gun sites are selling for over $600.00, and they don't hang around for these prices. I don't believe that they are made anymore? I may be wrong.

Made in Spain thanks for the info ! I'm planning on shooting .690 round ball out of it just to see how it shoots then I'll put some trap loads together we usually shoot black powder trap once a week when weather is cooler here in Arizona but with all of this going on who knows when I'll be able to do that ! Stay safe thanks!!
they also shoot good with a BUCK & BALL LOAD!

Beautiful work. I would like to get one as well. I had bought a cva 20ga for 250 on Facebook from a guy that I had already had great transactions with. He screwed me this time took my money never sent the gun and blocked me. I will get one someday.

Beautiful work. I would like to get one as well. I had bought a cva 20ga for 250 on Facebook from a guy that I had already had great transactions with. He screwed me this time took my money never sent the gun and blocked me. I will get one someday.

Remember. Paybacks are hell
Get the bastard if you can

I bought a unopened kit last week just for something to do coming out a little better than I thought. Have a couple tweaks like heating hammers to line up nipples I haven't decided on barrel finish I'm thinking heating barrels and doing a boiled linseed oil finish ? I might get ambitious and checker the stock never tried before but since it's just a kit gun might be a good learning candidate. I has to completely go thru both locks clean and polish to get working well,quite a bit of wood to be removed and the tang needed a lot of fitting for everything to fit correctly I will need just a tad of glass bed to make sure it's all snug.
Checkered and barrel browned

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Back