Blachorn 209 data

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
What kind of powder charge have yall used with the Blackhorn 209 and 250 gr SST (50 cal) ? I have read that this bullet likes 100 gr of BH209. Is this volumetric or by weight?

What is your experience?

Chick

VOLUME.... not weight.

I normally use 110 to 120 grains with the 250/260 weight projectile. This gives a slightly higher velocity than does an equal amount of T7.

These are all volume measurements. The sheet is not complet yet but you can see the pattern - also note this is with the heavier 300 grain bullet.

50calT7vsBHVelocity.jpg

There is a bigger difference than meets the eye because Blackhorn has a pressure difference of 15 percent less, it is a progressive burning powder and that makes it work on a different principle the pressure peak for 777 is shaped like a spear point the pressure peak for Blackhorn is shaped like a plateau this produces more velocity with less pressure.

I shot the 250 grn. SST a lot in 2009 and my Omega liked it with 110 grns. of Blackhorn209 by volume and a Harvester SB sabot--the smooth, short black one. The sabots the SST's come with did not shoot as well in my rifle as the Harvesters.

That load puts three shots under an inch at 100 yds. all day long and worked well hunting too. YMMV

Have you experienced any issues with ignition? I read somewhere that the 209 primer was fouling the flash hole, and caused problems. I kinda figured that might be because with the lack of having to clean, that people were shooting more, and caused the buildup, that they did not see from shooting less times with 777. Heck, for me to go out and shoot 15 times, with 777, it was 2 hours, but if I didn't have to wipe the bore everytime, I could have shot twice as much, in the same amount of time. I have a lot of the 250 SST, and plan to stay with them awhile.

Hey sabotloader, that is some impressive data you have compiled.

I have shot Blackhorn209 for almost two years now and have had no ignition issues in my Omegas--they are the only inlines I have. The "flash channel" of the breech plug will clog with carbon and can be a PIA to clean, but overall the rifles are much easier to clean with BH209 than they were with 777 or Pyrodex.

I routinely shoot 20 to 30 shots at the range without cleaning anything and have had no ignition problems and no "hang fires." I have shot Win 209's and Federal 209A's. The Fed's are a little cleaner and the Win's are a little more accurate in my rifles, so I shoot the Win's.

What rifle are you shooting? If its breech plug is compatible with BH209 I would definitely recommend trying some. I still shoot a lot of black in my flintlock and percussion rifles, but I only shoot Blackhorn209 in my inlines.

I'll try and post a couple pics of targets and an interesting test target I shot with Fed 209A's and Win 209's.

IMGP0270-1.jpg

IMGP1869.jpg

100 grains of BH209 shoots well, but 110 shoots as well and is a little flatter to 200 yds., so that is what I use. The SST's are more consistent than the Barnes in my rifle, but the Barnes turns in some great groups sometimes.

The target with the primer "test" had all the groups shot with 250 SST/Harvester SB Sabot/110 grns. BH209--the only difference was the primers. All groups shot at 100 yds.
IMGP1948.jpg

I'll throw in this pic too--that's what 110 grns. of BH209 and a 250 grn. SST did for me in Dec :D :wink:
IMGP0387.jpg

Chick said:
.............................Have you experienced any issues with ignition? I read somewhere that the 209 primer was fouling the flash hole, and caused problems.

Whilst using BH209, most experience a very hard carbon build in the flash channel. This is dealt with by using a drill to 'drill out' the carbon. It, at first glance, almost seems like part of the breech plug, but isn't. In the Omega breech plug an 1/8" drill is used, and in the Accura breech plug a 7/64" drill is used. Most spin the drill by hand using a holder, like a worn out chuck, or some such thing.

Ignition can be fussy. The trick seems to be a very tight fitting sabot, and a firmly compressed load. Magnum primers are recommended, but i use W209 primer, and mostly they work.

In my Omega, i have zero ignition issue with BH209.

I use to experience some of the same issues with carbon build up, in the gas ports of my M1As, when I was shooting NRA High Power. We used a drill bit by hand also. What size drill bit should I use in the Traditions nipple?

Also, the target showing the Winchester primers shooting tighter groups, is not a surprise to me. When shooting NRA High Power, we found that Winchester and CCI primers gave the best groups. Also found that CCI gave the most uniform velocity, but the targets didn't show any difference in group size. I have always stuck with the Winchester primers, and been happy.

paia, that's a nice work up and a great deer! My Mom was from PA. Her family lived in Tarentum, but I have only been there a couple of times.

Ive had the best luck also with the standard Win209 primers in 3 rifles and BH209. I do use the CCI209M when the hunting weather is nasty and cold as a little insurance.

In mine though the Win209 is cleaner and the CCI209M is much dirtier.

I shoot a 50 cal. What size hole do I need in the nipple, for optimum ignition?

Chick said:
My Mom was from PA. Her family lived in Tarentum, but I have only been there a couple of times.

PA is nice and a good place to be if you like to shoot--lots of clubs and ranges and lots of state forest and Game Lands to hunt. But PA is getting too crowded. I've been here 25 years and am looking to move on 8)

I spent a couple of years in TX in the service, around San Antonio. I liked the dove hunting down there :D

sabotloader said:
Chick

Think the otimum size is .032

I'll second that, give or take a thou. Isn't the Savage Vent Liner around .031 or .032"?

.031 is 1/32"
.031 is a #68 drill bit
.032 is a #67 drill bit

So, I need one of these to keep my flash hole clean? Do I need to enlarge it?

While you may need a drill for the carbon[that is what most of us use] A hat pin the right size to match or torch tip cleaners available at welding stores will do fine for the flash hole. I keep a hat pin handy and push it through after I clean the carbon out just to be sure .

Back