Cast bullets in an Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harry

Reaction score
I have a bunch of lead and several T/C omegas. I am cheap and want to cast some bullets for practice, etc. I made some 325 g lee "real" bullets and they were not too accurate in the omegas. (worked well in my 1/48 Hawken though)

Any one have any experience here? I have seen some used 370g maxi ball or hunter moulds, and wonder about that size? I think I need something longer for the faster twist; like 420+ grains.
Any comments?
Thanks.

The only all lead conical I could get to shoot half way decent out of my Omega is the 370 Maxi Ball. I couldn't hit a 1/4 sheet of plywood at 50 yards with the Great Planes bullet out of mine.

Have you thought of bulk sabots and a mould for .45 bullets?

I tried the great plains bullets and when one thumped the ground about 10 feet short of my 100 yd 3x5 foot back stop, after the previous one hit about a foot high, I gave them up.

The 460 grain no excuse bullet worked well at 50 yds, and I took an elk with one last year, so I think I need something of that weight (.50 cal. ).

I have though of getting a .429 die and making bullets and using bulk sabots, but I have an itch to use a conical and just skip the sabots.

Anyhow, you think a .452 bullet would be more accurate than a .429?

I have shot some hard cast .429 240 gr. bullets using the green Harvestor sabots and the accuracy was terrible. .429 jacketed sierra 240 gr. in the same sabot was much better, which made me somewhat suspicious of home cast bullets in a sabot.

One of the omegas (both x-7's) I have open sights on and plan on using it for elk in colorado, so I need conicals for it. The other omega has a scope on it for midwest late season deer hunting and I have yet to work up an accurate load for it. I get some ++100 yd shots and plan on looking for a sabot combo for that one.
I used american powder in it last winter, Hornady 250 SST, and shot a deer at about 120yds. The temperature was around 15 F and the bullet hit about a foot low. I figured the cold must have caused a loss of power.

Any how, if someone wants to suggest a good cast bullet and sabot, I am listening.

Thanks.

I have been looking for muzzleloading info for a long time and I am glad I found this site. :D

Harry, I know you want to cast your own but if your looking good conical that your Omega will probably shoot very well to elk in in CO. with, try the Hornady FPB. You must cut or remove the tip to make it CO. legal.

Latest posts

Back