New SMI load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried a Barnes .400 155 grain all copper with the MMP sabots and 5744 out of there SMI?

I was shooting a 200 grain Hornady .451, but ran into some terminal performance problems, so I am looking to try something different.

I cant speak for a smokeless application but i have used them in two 45cals using BH209. One in a Knight Elite 45 and the other is a Accura 45.

They are very accurate in both and have a long bearing surface. The bearing surface is longer than any 180gr JHP ive seen and as long or longer than 200gr JHP 40s.

I was pushing them to over 2250fps with great accuracy but they would lose all the petals on impact with my test media (totally soaked phone books, particle board and a water jug". They did retain 140gr with all petals gone at about 15-20yards.

Running them through a ballistics calculator shows that at about 120yard they still have well over 800FPE and shoot very flat with a 2300fps muzzle velocity.

Performance on deer sized game is debatable but as a youth load, IMO i think they would work well depending on the distance to impact.

Thanks for the info.

It is my wife's gun and I would like to keep recoil down. So a "youth" load is exactly what I am looking for.

I ordered the stuff already, so I guess I'm gonna see how they shoot in that gun.

elkstalkr said:
Thanks for the info.

It is my wife's gun and I would like to keep recoil down. So a "youth" load is exactly what I am looking for.

I ordered the stuff already, so I guess I'm gonna see how they shoot in that gun.

My preferred load even though it uses 100gr of BH209 (2250fps+) is very mild and dropping it to about 80gr should put it a sweet spot for anyone that is very sensitive.

Its pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate. IMO a BH209 80gr equivalent load should put the bullet very close to its max design spec at 50-100yard shots. The BC isnt that great so about 120yards is going to be max IF you want to retain 800FPE.

Another good option might be a 40xwhatever GoldDot. They hold up very well and are VERY affordable. I prefer the longer copper options in light weights though.....just a preference.

BTW watchout for the new "General Bullets" from MidwayUSA. They are offering a 40-155gr solid copper hp for MUCH less than the Barnes. They should be available in early July.

Back