Anyone shot 9mm bullets out of their 45?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
Mainly talking about the heavier version in the 145gr range. Just curious since I imagine they'd fit well enough with a standard 357/45 sabot.

Yes and getting better than 2" 50yard groups is a bit of a chore.

Try the 9mm 147gr XTPBT. They fit the MMP blue 45x357 sabot very well and in mine i get roughly 2" groups with 80gr of BH209. The sabots seem to NOT separate nearly as fast as a 45x40 so IMO try the lighter 40s instead.

I would avoid the PR/MMP Orange 45x357 sabot unless you enjoy experimenting. They appear to be made for boattail bullets or at least a rebated base bullet. They do separate much faster and ive have shot a few typical 357 bullets in them but not much load work yet.

I was just curious if anyone had tried it. I have some 357 180gr bullets I tried last year. I managed about 2" at 100 because of a flier. I also noticed the flyer at 50 as well. Otherwise I was putting them on top of each other. Not sure if this was because of heat, rain, or what but I didn't give them too much of a shot. I'm going to try some different things this year to see if they'll redeem themselves.
I have some 200gr .35 bullets but they're too long for how fast I could push them (maybe some savage guys or guys shooting a 1:20 twist wanna give this a shot). Thought about shooting the 180gr version instead. I guess if I had a precise enough cutting method I could hack off the back end of the 200gr'ers I already have. I'd really like to use the soft point versus the hollow point on deer since it provides a better BC and it holds up better.

Maybe some dry lube (graphite powder) in the sabot before the shot will help it separate quicker.

Ive tried both the .358 200gr FTX and the .358 200gr pro Hunter in a PR 45x357 sabot. Just getting them to fly straight without a key hole can be a challenge. Ive managed to over come that but accuracy still leaves a lot to be desired.

I would like to try the old Sierra 180gr single shot pistol bullet sometime though...i think it was Sierra that made/makes them.

My best 357 groups have been with the more common 158gr length 357s in the PR sabot but IMO "best" is far from the best ive gotten with light weight 45x40 options. The Barnes 140gr XPB did ok for a 357 too.

The Barnes 10mm 155gr TAC-XP will shoot circles around any 45x357 combo ive tried yet. And will rocket out at over 2200fps with ease.

GM54,
I used to use them in a 357 rem maximum they were made by Hornady if I'm not mistaken.

Wally

Ps. Talking about the 180 gr single shot pistol bullet.

wallygater said:
GM54,
I used to use them in a 357 rem maximum they were made by Hornady if I'm not mistaken.

Wally

Ps. Talking about the 180 gr single shot pistol bullet.

I used them in 2 MAXs also. One was a Contender and one was a single shot made by IMI.

Harvested my very first buck here in NY with a contender and that very bullet many years ago it is very well built for deer size game.

Wally

Not 9mm, but some .358" 200 gr FTX's in the PR sabot.

1:30 twist .45 cal Knight Disc Elite, not good.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... 8+200++ftx

1:20 twist .451 cal White M-98 Elite Hunter, little better.

1:20 twist .45 cal Knight D.I.S.C, with open sights.

1:20 twist .45 cal Knight D.I.S.C, with scope. Scroll down to second target for the .358" 200 gr FTX results.

Another bullet the might be interesting to try is the 357 180gr XTP. It has a long bearing surface and might give better results. It holding together at 2000fps though is the big question.

Its not so much the length IMO but the length of the ogive in front of the cannelure. This part doesnt contact the sabot and acts like a badly thrown football in flight.

Even the 200gr Pro hunter has this long sub diameter section in front of the cannelure and a short bearing surface. Ive managed 5" groups at best with both but as i said i havent done much load work with them.

If you want a few 9mm, 357 and 358 bullets to try i can hook you up with a dozen of each for the cost of postage. They are fun to play with but so far i just havent had time to get serious with them.

PM me for details if you want about a 50 variety pack and list of the 9mm-358s i have in stock. If you want the entire box of 200gr FTXs i will sell it at half of Cabelas price. Ive only used about 15 of them.

I also sell variety packs of many calibers from 40-50cal with weights from 165gr-335gr. Including a semi custom (resized) 260gr 40cal cast RNFP Meister bullet.

My favorite 45x35X sofar is the 9mm 147gr XTP/MMP blue sabot with the slight boattail and it holds about 92grs after impact. Not too bad considering its moving far above it design specs. I usually get 2 within an inch then a flier. Using 80grs the sabots look perfect and no signs of stress BUT they travel well past 25 yards. Possibly indicating its going too far before separating.

Del at MMP recommends about 60grs (for this combo) so i might be pushing them too hard and causing the flier. Im very thorough about cool down time when shooting at my private ranges.

My brothers 9mm carbine loves this bullet but its only moving about 1100fps or maybe a tad more when loaded to +P specs in NATO or Starline/Fiochii brass with a slightly slower powder like BlueDot or AA #7.

Ive tried a rather unconventional way of loading the MMP/PR orange sabot. I use a 31cal felt wad IN the PR orange sabot and under the bullet. A harder fiber wad would probably work better. Using a short bullet, this helps it seat a little higher so the loading jag doest get in the sabot. Its quite long for its caliber. IMO a sabot that has a length in between the 2 may be the answer to an "ok" 45x357 option.

This method seems to work "ok" with the Berry's 158gr plated HP just as a fun load. There isnt much left of the bullet after impact as i expected.

Success with the 10mm 155gr Barnes TAC-XP has been FAR better and it does hold together. It also holds about 900FPE out to 120 yards or a bit farther. Sub 2" groups are easy and sub MOA is very possible. SabotLoader and i have shot a few nice groups with this bullet although performance on deer is very debatable.

IMO its one of the best 45x40 very low recoil loads ive tested and it destroys my impact media while holding on to about 140grs even with all the petals sheared off.

Soon (early July) a new supplier of all copper bullets will be on the market through MidwayUSA at nearly half the cost of Barnes copper bullets. A 155gr 40cal copper HP bullet is longer than a 180gr JHP copper and lead by a good margin. The long bearing surface seems to improve accuracy to a point.

Have fun and let me know if you want to try a variety pack without a huge investment just to find out you dont like them. I will throw in a few of my heavy cast 40s for fun too.

Scott

My only concern with the Barnes bullet you mentioned is the weight. Using the BC published (and we all know those are inflated) I'd have to push it over 2400 fps to have 900 fpke at 200 yards. I'm not sure I can even do that. Conversely, I can use 100gr. of 777 3f to get enough oomph with the 180gr XTP you mentioned.

I've shot the 180gr XTP and would like to use it on deer but haven't gotten decent enough groups with it yet. I should correct that by saying that I'm getting fliers with the minimal shooting I've done with them (all of 10-12 shots). Two shots at 100 were in the same hole though with a flier 2" away. I'm going to practice with this one some more to see what I can do with it. My experiences with the 200gr 40cal XTP leads me to believe this will be a good bullet on deer since it has a higher SD and should provide a pass-thru with enough expansion to mess things up on the inside.

I don't have a fast enough twist to even consider trying any 200gr 358 bullets.

This leaves me looking at the 180gr single shot pistol bullet in 358 that I wish Hornady would make an FTX for, the 180gr 357 XTP if I can get it to group or sticking with the 200gr SST which is a tough bullet to beat for shooting at deer out of a 45 with a 1:28 twist.

I'd certainly like to try any bullets you send my way...especially any of the 180gr single shot pistol bullets before I go out and buy a box of 100 just to find out they won't work (like I did with the 200gr'ers). I'll send you a PM.

Latest posts

Back