Max BH209 load with 245gr powerbelt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
I was casting some round balls and minie balls today and figured what the heck, i'll cast a handful of the Inserts for the Powerbelts. I normally use hard lead but since i was working with pure soft lead, i used that instead.

100gr Blackhorn209 - 259gr Powerbelt - 4" wet news paper and then a box of damp sand set up at 50 yards. Wow what a hole!

That hole is the size of a silver dollar,
000_1212.jpg

The hole in the sand bag was consistent with the hole in the news paper.
000_1211.jpg

Recovered weight was 252 grains! Had i been shooting into something that held the sand better, this bullet would not have tumbled around so much. Next time i have more time i will retest.
000_1214.jpg

000_1215.jpg

The Optima likes 100-110gr BH209 so thats what i will be using on one of my hunts. With the way the INSERT IGNORE is performing, there shouldnt be no trouble at all using 120-150gr of the other subs with the bigger bullets.

Frontier, could you enlighten me on the "inserts" you make for Power Belts?

I am working on a load for my encore, and so far nothing groups near as well as the 295 powerbelts... but I worry a little about their performance on large elk.

Phil

camo_deerslayer said:
Frontier, could you enlighten me on the "inserts" you make for Power Belts?

I am working on a load for my encore, and so far nothing groups near as well as the 295 powerbelts... but I worry a little about their performance on large elk.

Phil

Phip, I'd be a little worried about using the 295gr powerbelt on elk. I'd feel much more comfortable with the 348gr powerbelt and if they shoot good, i'd be more than happy to make some of these inserts for you to use.

I use wheel weight lead and cast them in a home made mold that i built. Its slightly over sized and the inser uses a thread to grip the soft lead as the bullet mushrooms. Basically keeps it from over expanding/fragmenting.

This tip INSERT IGNORE is perfect for the shooter who likes to buy Powerbelts in the bulk 50 pack. This tip allows the use of a heavier charge and helps control over expansion/fragmentation.

The 295gr Powerbelt With this tip installed weighs 308 grains. This bullet when shot with 100gr pyrodex RS is averaging a 3 grain weight loss when fired into damp sand at distances ranging from 20 yards to 100 yards.

Please be informed that if you use such inserts or any hollowpoint inserts in Powerbelts you do so at your own risk and responsibilty, and I assume no liability or responsibility should injury or death occur in their use.

PowerbeltInsert001.jpg

CT-1.jpg

CT-2.jpg

Install the sprue cut side of the INSERT IGNORE so its facing the outside of the bullet. The pointy end goes down into the hollow point. Simply get a thread or two into the bullet cavity and press the tip onto a hard surface ( Wood/phonebook work great) See Movie below
CT-3.jpg

CT-4.jpg

CT-5.jpg

Movie on loading the insert,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR7RZGeTYV8

Latest posts

Back