What casting mold for an Omega???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintopher

Reaction score
Hello all, new guy here. I just picked up my first ML, a T/C Omega and I'm wanting to start casting for it but I was hoping to learn from you guys on which mold/molds I should look at.

Good question. Caliber?

You had best first buy a few conicals from Bull Shop sized to fit your bore and see if the rifle will shoot them with any accuracy at all (if you mean to cast full bore conicals??).

There aren't many off-the-shelf molds that make a good conical for the fifties. Several do just fine for the .45s.

If you are asking about casting a bullet to go in a sabot, there are also several choices there.

Need more input.

It's a .50 cal. I've been looking around online and it's looking like casting a 44 or 45 bullet and using a sabot might be the best way to go, but I'd like to try out a few different conicals too.

Probably a Lyman mold for the Great Plains bullet would be about your best choice for a .50 conical that might shoot well. Bull Shop makes a number of .50 conicals mostly intended for White Rifles but could be sized to fit the bore of your Omega (probably .500 or .501). Perhaps getting a few of his in a two or three different types would be a good test to see if the rifle will shoot any of them well. You could also buy some Great Plains conicals and try those before shelling out for a mold. About any other mold you get for the .50 in a full-bore would have to be custom made. There are some older Lyman molds that might put out a workable bullet if sized, but you would have to watch the classifieds sections of various forums to ever find one. Rapine also made/makes a mold that drops a .504 bullet that could be sized down to fit your bore, again those are pretty hard to find as well.

In the .429 or .451 sizing to be used with sabots, there are a ton of ready-made molds you might give a whirl. An inexpensive one to get started with would be the Lee 457-340-F sized to .451/.452 then used in a Harvester short black .50/.45 sabot. I would size them with a smear of Crisco or similar then wipe off the excess.

That's about the best advice I can give you

Like UC said, try some conicals first. The only conicals my Omega will shoot are FPB's and powerbelts and I don't like the power belts too much. I tried some great plains and at 50 yards I couldn't keep them on a 1/4 sheet of plywood. Those were the first bullets I tried too so I was freaking out. Try 85 - 90 gr. of BH209, an FPB, and STS primers. More then likely you gun will like it but there's only one way to find out.

Back