lube for sabots ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbeers

Reaction score
I started shooting sabots and bullets out of my great plains hunter flintlock.I'm new at the whole sabot sooting thing ,should you swab the bore with lube before each shot or just cleaning patch?And if you use lube what do you recommend ?

In a great plains rifles, I would swab with pure Isopropyl alcohol. Since you are using pure black powder. Or you can swab the barrel with some simple spit. Even Windex will use. Be sure to dry patch the barrel good after the slightly damp patch.

The reason I would not use lube is, you might contaminate the black powder, and it will start to clump in there around the vent hole. It will only lead to ignition problems I believe.

Yeah - no need to lube sabots........................the plastic is basically self-lubricating. A quick swab of the bore between shots (spit patch, windex,etc) is all you need

never mind tried lube and flung bullets everywhere but in the bull!

I was wondering if this might help with accuracy from sabots at higher speeds. I have yet to try it myself and was thinking of using just a light coat of bore butter.

spit

I shoot the Lyman deer stalker 1:48 twist flinter. Shooting TC cheap shots and all I had to do was spit swab, dry swa and shoot. Open sites 100 yards insode the paper plate inner ring all day. I don't think you are gaining speed or anything using a lube.

james 14 said:
I was wondering if this might help with accuracy from sabots at higher speeds. I have yet to try it myself and was thinking of using just a light coat of bore butter.

If any thing a lube would make it harder fo the sabots to grip the rifling to get the spin needed to stablize a bulitt.

A hard loading sabot can be helped a little by licking the lower circumference just before loading.

Video yourself doing that. ;)

Latest posts

Back