Wisconsin ML'er scope laws

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panhandle

Reaction score
Cayuga....
Did your county go yes with the new scope laws? How'd you vote?
Last year was the first year for scopes in Nebraska. For me it was in the nick of time. My eyesight doesn't do well with open sights. In fact I'm going in for cataract surgery at the end of the month. Hope that helps.
Just wondering....
Zen

Panhandle said:
Cayuga....
Did your county go yes with the new scope laws? How'd you vote?
Last year was the first year for scopes in Nebraska. For me it was in the nick of time. My eyesight doesn't do well with open sights. In fact I'm going in for cataract surgery at the end of the month. Hope that helps.
Just wondering....
Zen

Hope all goes well for you pal. My eyes are not as good as they once were and the scope is a must for me at any distance over 75 yards. But if all goes well you should be in great shape for the next season.

To be honest I do not know if the magnification scopes are allowed. I know they were debating this. And actually it means nothing to me. If it is legal, I have scoped muzzleloaders. If not, I throw a 1x scope on a couple of Whites and hunt anyway. Or grab any of the rifles off the shelf. Out to 50 yards, I can shoot open sights just fine. Where I live and hunt, my shots are 50 yards or less normally.

I have not purchased my 2009 deer license. And believe this or not.. have considered not getting one this year. Many hunters are having a disagreement with the way the DNR handled the herd. And if you want to see the DNR get scared, don't buy their license. At one meeting a DNR representative told us he understood that many of us were upset, but the worst thing we could do is not purchase a license to hunt deer. He even suggested if we do not want to hunt, as sportsman we should still buy a license. As license sales effect so much more then just deer hunting. One person in the crowed yelled out, YA, your job. He did not say anything to much after that.

They have shot off so many deer where I live, many of us hunt the entire season and do not even see deer. I used to have over twenty deer come into the yard as they like the green lawn grass. I have not seen a deer in years now. I can be fishing by then. But I say this every year to friends and sure as heck.. they find me freezing out on some stump looking at the woods all day.

This was copied off the WI DNR website reference scoped muzzleloaders.

Can my muzzleloader have a scope?

For the purposes of the special muzzleloader deer season, a muzzleloader may not have an attached telescopic sight. A telescopic sight is any device that is capable of magnification. Examples are: 1-5 power variables, 2-8 variables, 3-9 variables, or 4 power fixed. All of these are capable of magnification. Any device that is 1 power only is not deemed a telescopic sight. Caution: a 1-5 power telescopic sight set on "1" power is still a telescopic sight.

well that is good news.. but I will believe it when I see it in the DNR law books. All to often we have voted for something, only to have that denied.

cayuga
You can always move to AR,I used to live in Northern IL and my first wife was born in Wisconsin, after she died I moved to Greers Fairy lake.
Its nice to be able to shoot in the winter 32 degrees is considered very cold around here, there's lots of woods and WMA's all over. The deer are around the herd could be bigger I have to hunt quite a bit to fill all my tags, there are a few bear, I personally wish they would close the season and let them multiply for a few years, then there's them pigs we have to shoot on now and then they are considered a varmint here and on private property the can be hunted the year round, and since they tear up crops the farmers usually let any body hunt them that wants to. Besides it would be nice to have a muzzle loader hunting buddy around here. Lee

WI Scopes

Wisconsin Conservation Congress meeting in May minutes voted down scopes with magnification 9 to 0, No change in wisconsin Law this year no matter what the people say.

Re: WI Scopes

Morris said:
Wisconsin Conservation Congress meeting in May minutes voted down scopes with magnification 9 to 0, No change in wisconsin Law this year no matter what the people say.

that's not a surprise.. even though the hunters want it.. Only the DNR can decide what is best for Wisconsin hunters. I never seen such an organization. I wonder why they have meeting for our "opinions" when they don't care what we think.

As for moving to Arizona.. my Dad had a place in Mission Texas where they would spend the winter. I visited him. Man it was hot and windy there. I'd miss my snow.. :D

AR = Arkansas

AZ = Arizona

Don't worry, I bet your not the first one to make that mistake. :wink:

I over looked that.. but still it is hot in both places. I had a friend that lived in Benton AR just outside of Little Rock. Nice place to visit, too hot to live there... And that man was NUTS!! When we visited, he wanted to show me where he hunted. In his almost brand new truck, we head out through the woods, scratching the paint on his truck.. I would of never done that with my old truck. He also raised Beagles. And we ran them one day, now that was fun!! :D

Actually it was kind of nice there. Even in the summer when we visited. Vacation you know... the ex wante to go to some spa at Hot Springs AR. We went, swam in the hot water, and spent lots of money playing tourist. I was glad to get home to Wisconsin.. :D

In Wi. there are 2 sets of questions on the April Ballot, These meetings are put on by the conservastion congress. The first set is from the DNR and they usually go with the vote. The second set is from the congress which is an advisory question, if this passes as the ML scope issue did then it MIGHT be placed on next years DNR ballot. The DNR passes the results to the 9 member Natural Resources board which has the final say for game laws. As far as I was told the ML Scope issue was not brought up to the Natural Resources board. Maybe next year it will be brought up.
Redclub

I feel sorry for your guys up there with so many bureaucrats between you and your hunting seasons. All I can say is keep at it.

How do these bureauidiots get their jobs, elected or appointed. If elected, throw them out of office. If appointed, throw out the elected officals that appointed them.

Bottom line sounds like you guys need to close ranks and get these idiots out of the picture!

Our Department of Natural Resources is just way too powerful. They manage the fish and game and take no second hand from anyone. There have been a hatred between Wisconsin outdoors people and the DNR for years. Their wardens it seems take pleasure in just plain harassment of sportsmen. And there is no breaks from them if they have anything to arrest you for, they do.

The one thing I will credit them for is.. they are brutal on companies that believe they can pollute Wisconsin's water, soil, or air. Companies have been required to follow stringent guidelines to make sure their waste does not end up in our outdoors.

The Natural Resources board is appointed by the Governor, THe Conservation Congress is elected at the Spring Hearings. Those 2 groups are pretty good its the DNR that is less than desirable :roll:
RC

Latest posts

Back