my new to me brush gun ( t/c thunder hawk)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_h

Reaction score
bought this for $50 plus $10 shipping from a forum i am a member on . i love the real walnut stock it is the best looking stock i have seen on a $50 gun :) . has moderate pitting in the bore that i was aware of but the rifling still grabs a sabot and the bore is still tight . shoot well and went boom every tine with 100 grains pryrodex pellets and a 295 grain power belt (yeah i know yuck ). i plan to set it up to shoot around 85 grains loose powder and a conical in the 300-350 grain range . forgot to mention its a .50 with 21 inch barrel . oh yeah is has a fully ajustable timney trigger , is that factory ?

CIMG0037.jpg

CIMG0036.jpg

CIMG0035.jpg

CIMG0034.jpg

CIMG0033.jpg

CIMG0032.jpg

CIMG0031.jpg

CIMG0030-1.jpg

did i do ok for $60 ? i need a scope as i can't use the sights very well its such a short barrel . i was thinking of this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/o ... x?a=575703 .

YES!!!! you did fine

I had a 54 in stainless. The twist is a bit slow for what i prefer NOW but ive always missed the old gal. Its the reason i bought a LK93 54...i missed having a nice simple plunger ignition inline.

Avoid the flame thrower nipples and 209 conversion unless you dont mind far more blowby. I did the conversion to 209 and used mild 80gr loads of JSG and it wasnt too bad.

BTW a fully adjustable Timney trigger is worth more than you paid. Im not sure if its factory or not. I never needed to adjust mine and never paid attention.

cool i have heard from a few people that these area a good solid gun . i do need a new ramrod i think . it has a hollow aluminum one . last season i was able to hunt i bent the crap out of the hollow aluminum rod on my cva and didn't even need a follow up shot :roll: , oops .

Now that is a pretty walnut stock!! If I was you I'd put a couple coats of stain inside the barrel/breech channel and either schelac or stock wax it to make it water proof. 8)

I had a FireHawk in .54 and actually prefered the flame thrower nipples over the regular stock nipple.

Art,
If the ThunderHawk uses the same trigger as the FireHawk (and I'd think they do) the trigger is not removable, but is adjustable. I believe it was a timney trigger, but don't hold me to that.

in mine the trigger group comes out with one allen screw and it needs to be removed for cleaning , at least i do cus i clean my black powder guns very carefully ,

@toytruck i have used some tru-oil in the barrel channel and in the action inletting . to say i am pleased with the wood ifs an under statement , it is even better in person . not bad for a $50 gun :) .

is their a receiver sight that will fit this ? i am thinking that may be a better choice than a low power scope . it looks like t/c used to make one for it , #7195 . i can't even find a picture of one , and have never seen one for sale .

I know in my T/C Black Diamond it was a no no to remove the trigger. It was about the only thing I didn't like about that gun. If this one has a timney trigger that is ok to take out when cleaning that is a big plus in my book. Do you know what the twist rate is on that thunder hawk?
Art
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa

yeah its a 1:38 . the trigger is removable , one screw takes the group off the rifle . hat would be a good place to start working up a load ? i wan to shoot conicals out of it , its really hard to load a saboted bullet in it .

I mostly used just 80gr of any sub (excluding BH209) with conicals in the 54. The manual lists much hotter loads as safe but...

A brush gun load of 80gr is fine IMO depending on what yours likes.

thats just the load i was thinking of starting with and go from there .on a side note i have been wanting to try small game with a muzzle loader . i was told that 50 grains of powder and a PRB would be good for my .50 for around 30 yards . i was told to go for head shots or to bark them . how accurate is that info ? i would love to try it .

Latest posts

Back