shooting the .58 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Semisane made a post reference his new .58 caliber Green Mountain Barrel with a peep sight. His accuracy was amazing. He was using almost the same load as I shoot. He has a .575 home cast ball while I use a .570 Speer ball. Also he uses a different lube and cuts his patches prior to loading. I use moose milk and cut my patch at the muzzle.

I had the target out at 50 yards. It was hot today, 80 degrees. This northwoods person is not real pleased with hot weather and today was no exception. While the sun beat down on me, there was at least a slight breeze. Although this did not stop the sweat from running off my hat, and dripping down my face into my eyes where it burned like liquid fire. I really do not know how people take hot climates.

Anyway, I was determined to shoot this muzzleloader, sweat in my eyes or not. I was using a basic Caldwell shooting rest. My load was 110 grains of Goex 2f, a Speer roundball, pillow tick and moosemilk lube. I was also using RWS caps to ignite the rifle.

GMB585-17001.jpg

I was using a very generous six o'clock hold. The first three shots showed me the error of my ways, to I took a little finer bead and #4 was a little better IMO.

GMB585-17009.jpg

I threw a couple of shots, but over all the rifle did OK. I never swabbed between shots. And I can not say it was hard to load, even though I was shooting Goex. I never kept track of the shots. Too hot to walk to the target. I just sat there and had some fun shooting.

GMB585-17008.jpg

The four patches show no sign of damage and are in very good shape. The X was from a different day, but I was grabbing patches off the ground at the time...

That would be a good hunting load IMO.

very good shooting, i too don't know how people stand weather that hot , i really want to get a side lock but their are so many choices its a bit confusing as to what i want .

swampman ... yes that Green Mountain Barrel has a 1-70 twist and is 32 inches long. It is one inch on the flats and fits my Renegade stock just perfect.

I have one of those .58 Gm drop ins for a Tc Renegade >they do shoot dont they? You can pretty much rip the center of a target out at 50 yards with open sights. I use the exact same load your using for hunting deer.

Back