Using Blackhorn 209 in a CVA bolt action

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. B

Reaction score
I bought some BH209 to use and when I tried it out there was a delay between the shotgun 209 primer and detonation. I looked on the powder container and it said "not for use in" and showed my breehplug. Anyone know how to change or modify the breehplug or get a new one that will allow me to use the new powder?

Seeing how its the Bolt action CVA with most likely the slotted breech plug, All you will need to do is get the Hex head CVA Breech Plug and some 006 O rings. The o ring will make for a tighter fit of the primer against the face of the bolt.

You will find this helpful,
http://frontiermuzzleloadin.forumotion.com/muzzleloading-f19/cva-hunterbolt-t1148.htm

Now you really do need to get a #32 drill bit to clean the carbon out of the Plugs flash channel. It builds up quick.

I found out the actual size, its a #60 rubber o ring. It will last for around 25-30 shots. If you take the Hex head plug to a hardware store im sure you could find a metal washer or 2 to fit inside the hole.

You will also have to enlarge the flash channel with a #65 drill bit so its the recommended .035" flash hole. If you dont have a drill press i can help you out. No charge either.

I received the hex nut breech plug. I put it in my CVA magnum hunter and it successfully fired several Federal 209 shotgun primers. I do have one nagging concern and that's about the lawsuits against CVA. It seems their muzzleloaders are only rated for 10,000 psi and 120 grains of blackhorn 209 (as well as 3 triple seven pellets) exceed that. Some blogs state that the Spanish steel used in their muzzleloaders, especially the earlier models,is inferior to the American made barrels. Have you had any questions about their reliability?
Thanks

Dr B. That entire story about the 10k psi was for the older sidelock CVA's that shot patched round ball. CVA's are tested well above 24,000 psi for the inlines these days. They dont give out exact numbers due to crazy people out there thinking, hey, if it can shoot that much, then i can use a reduced # of smokeless powder. Thats the way some think, and thats how they end up hurting themselves.

I've read all about the so called steel quality crap and its mainly the writer of those articles thats a fraud who is employed by savage arms. He actually used to test and review CVA's and then once he got onto with savage " savages owner was injured by a recall CVA" he's been on the war path against CVA and what ever company they have ties with.

The recalled guns were made in 1995 and 1996.

You're perfectly safe!

I shoot around 4 to 6,000 rounds a year in my rifles each year, i can tell you that i have never run across a safety concern or issue with a CVA. I've been shooting these rifles since i was 14 years old and i have a good long run with them.

Keep us informed on how the blackhorn209 experiment in the Hunter goes! If you need help, you know where to come!

That was all very interesting about the breech plug, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back