spare breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
Saw one at the shop the other day and thought about getting one as a back up just to have.
Does anyone else have/use a spare for just in case?

Good idea to have one; I do for my Knight Disc Extreme and will be getting one for my TC Triumph.

erosion

Spare plugs are an absolute necessity as , like nipples , they do erode over time and definately have a finate life. I used to get about 400 rounds out of a plug in my Omega. Signs of erosion begin as a general enlargement of group size and an increase in breech fouling. Keep track of your round count and replace at around 4-500 rounds depending on how hot your loads are.

Re: erosion

Confederate rifleman said:
Spare plugs are an absolute necessity as , like nipples , they do erode over time and definately have a finate life. I used to get about 400 rounds out of a plug in my Omega. Signs of erosion begin as a general enlargement of group size and an increase in breech fouling. Keep track of your round count and replace at around 4-500 rounds depending on how hot your loads are.

Just what he said :D

I replace my Omega's every year and keep a spare

Why do the manufacturers neglect to put such information in their manuals? I have purchased two (2) spares, but I did that just out of habit with my bows, etc. Not because of any recommendation.

I'll keep count... thank you Confederate rifleman!!

I shopped around and found a spare Speed Breech XT for my Endeavor for $30. I'm like these guys, you gotta have a spare...

Not until i started using Bh209 , then i got a back up . Since i need to use a drill bit to clean it i thought i might need a spare .

Thanks for the thanks

I called T/C and asked about breechplug replacement intervals and was told " The plugs last as long as the rifles". :roll: A god way to confirm that your problems are plug erosion related is to pop in a new one , if things go back to the way they should be , its the plug.

I can't really see a breech plug wearing out that fast since there's no friction on it. Unless you're cleaning it with sand paper or something really abrasive. The Speed Breech has gas rings that are only subject to friction when you install or remove it. For example, an M16 (AR type) rifle needs the gas rings replaced every so often because they're subject to friction every time you fire off a round. I just don't see the breech plug getting wore out from normal cleaning. Unless it's made from an inferior material.

Re: Thanks for the thanks

Confederate rifleman said:
I called T/C and asked about breechplug replacement intervals and was told " The plugs last as long as the rifles". :roll: A god way to confirm that your problems are plug erosion related is to pop in a new one , if things go back to the way they should be , its the plug.

I shot approx. 400 rounds thru my Omega breech plug and started to notice considerable primer fouling on the B/P, action, and even the bottom of my scope. :huh?:

Replaced the B/P... end of problem. I'm thinking hot Fed209A's are resulting in more B/P erosion ?

Latest posts

Back