Cabela's Precision Rifle X-tended Range Sabots 250 grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now I'm looking at it from another point of view............

Funny Guy's......

I don't know what happened. I ordered these Saboted Bullets from Cabela's. Has anyone used or tried them. The reviews on the site were good (39 of them).

I was shooting Powerbelts and I am reading a lot of posts that say not to use them on game because of lack of expantion.......

I have been shooting the 240 gr PR Dead Center. Same thing ordered from Cabela's. They shoot real nice. I haven't shot a deer with them ...YET, but my buddy shot one a week ago. It entered the right side just behind the shoulder, took out both lungs, and busted the opposite shoulder up pretty good. The deer went 10 yds before falling over. I pulled a couple of shots out of a phone book on the range, and while they weren't pretty mushrooms, they did have pretty good expansion.

Powerbelts

I tried to zero in using 300 grain powerbelts about a month ago shooting at the middle of the target at 50 yards. I was shooting the setup bellow. I bottomed out the scope and was still 10" to 12" low. I took the gun back to the store where purchased. They re-mounted the scope.

I went back to the range a week ago and shot at the 50 yard target again, bottomed out the scope shooting the same setup. I got it upto about 4" to 6" low. I tried shooting a 205 grain Powerbelt and got another 1" of height at the 50 yard target. I took the muzzleloader back to the store again with the target. They replaced the scope.

I went to the range this morning. It is my 3rd trip. I shot the gun 5 times with the new Simmons scope at the 50 yard target with the 300 grain Powerbelts, made some adjustments up and had a fairly decent group & the new scope was working fine. I moved out to the 100 yard target shot 3 more times. Everything was good. I was swabbing the barral with a windex patch and then a dry patch between each shot. I decided to try the 205 grain Powerbelts.......... bad move...... they shot all over the place I could get them to group at all. The bullets were cutting though the target really funny, like the bullets were tumbling through. I went back to the 300 grain powerbelts...... They didn;'t seem a lot better than the 205's.

By the way, I was shooting from a Caldwell Lead Sled. I must have shot 30 - 35 shots. I'm wondering if the gun was just too dirty by the time I switched to the 205's..... I'm Frustrated....... Shot every bullet I had... Waiting for the Cabela's order......

Any Help out there........

First off - those Extended Range bullets are the cat's meow. I use the 300, 350, and 400gr models in my Knight and get marvelous accuracy and devastation on game.
Here - check what I have been able to make them do:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/66414501RJKYAr
and
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1039327012034387275UUZLuw
The remains of the bullet after Hog Autopsy
(BTW - the Extended Range bullets ARE the Precision Rifle QT bullets - exact same beast)

Now - about the powerbelts. Powerbelts do NOT like to be pushed too fast. The little cups won't fall off quick enough after leaving the barrel and it destroys accuracy. I don't know what powder you're using but 80gr of 2fg 777 or 95gr of Pyro RS is about as hot as you want to go with the 300gr Powerbelts. And no 3fg powders - they really don't play well with that in my experience.
Another tip is to add fresh lube to the cup post on the bullet and make sure there is a reasonably loose fit between the 2 pieces - it'll help the cup fall off and maintain accuracy.

Thanks for yourReply

Mark wiz.......

I really enjoyed the link to the photos.. I liked the before and after photos of the bullet. I read all of the reviews @Cabela's and most were happy with them. They said that the expandion was good and many times that bullet didn't pass all theway through. Is that what happened when you shot the boar?

My order just came from Cabela's. I'm going to go back to the range next week and shoot some of these bad boys. I hope they shoot better than the Powerbelts. I'm not happy with them.......

That is correct wishtofish.......................that bullet, pushed at 1500fps and shot from about 15 yards away, entered thru one shoulder, passed all the way thru Porky's chest cavity and ended up lying just under the skin on the opposite shoulder. He didn't move or even give a good squeal after being hit - just did a bang-flop right there.

Powerbelts are a mixed bag - they work in some guns for some people - and for others they might as well be spit wads. Besides what I wrote earlier, I think a big factor on their performance is a gun's actual bore profile and consistency. Some bores are true .500" between the lands. others are a smidgen more and any variance in that bore diameter from breech to muzzle could well affect the powerbelts moreso than sabots.

Latest posts

Back