Need some help/advice on 3 pellet Powerbelt load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
A buddy of mine asked if I would sight in his Omega for him because he isn't confident with his shooting. Not usually any problem, however he insists on a 3 pellet T7 load with a heavy Powerbelt. He has been shooting 195 gr PB's with 3 pellets on deer for years and after the last 2 kills decided that they were exploding on him :roll: -no surprise there. He says no crud ring with 3 pellets and more consistent loading for him. Is anyone using a 300ish grain Powerbelt over 3 pellets and getting results?

OK, I know there are much better choices for loads, I like BH209 and Barnes myself but he is set on making 3 pellets work with Powerbelts.

Help please!!! I don't think my shoulder can take too much 'experimenting'
:shock:

If he has to have 3-pellets, try the 200g Shockwaves for the 50cal guns. They come with thick Blue sabots.
That will reduce recoil and give you a heck of a deer stopper :shock: 8)

Should be around 2450fps, and I hope you can keep the groups at 3inches or less at 100yards :roll: :lol: :wink:

I think you will find Barnes bullets or TC shock wave bullets will work much better than power belt bullets. When ever anyone ask me for help and if they are using power belts bullets that is the first thing I change and normally find success. As for bullet weights I wouldn't recommend anything lighter than 250 grains and myself I always us 300 grain bullets.

One little trick for those who use pellets, is to weight all the pellets and put them in groups that closely weight the same. It will reduce your group size.

Of course the bullet blew up because powerbelts are not made to take that kind of velocity, even bigger ones. They are pure lead bullets and do better at medium velocities.

He will get BETTER pentration and BETTER terminal performance (retained weight) at 100 gr of powder than he ever will at 150 gr. I will make a bet with him, I will use 100 gr and he can use 150 and I will outpenetrate him in whatever medium he wants to shoot at (gel, sand, deer)

My ELK load when I did use powerbelts was 95 gr of 777 and either a 348 or 405 powerbelt. If he insists on using powerbelt and 150 gr, the only one that MIGHT half way hold up is the 290 gr platinum, but they are EXPENSIVE!

If I wanted a somewhat smaller conical that would hold up at those velocities, I would use the new Thor bullet, otherwise the sabots would be a good choice.

300gr platinum wont even handle the magnum charge. Best bet is the 338gr plat and he aint gonna like that kind of recoil! Why is he such a magnum junkie?

Check these out www.thorbullets.com These WILL handle a magnum charge. I havent tried them yet with such a charge because 105gr Pyrodex RS does under 1" groups @ 100 yards.

150gr mag charge shouldnt feel to bad with the 250gr Thor.

Even if he does go with the 295 or somewhere around there with the mag load, be sure he uses lung shots only. No shoulder shots!

Fill up a coffee can with wet sand and let your friend shoot at it with 150gr charges. I catch them all day long with 100gr charges at 50 yards.

smong2000 said:
Thanks Lane, maybe I can convince him to use something else.

I would develop the load for him - then show him the target. Admittedly, powerbelts wouldn't be my first choice (nor would 150 grains).

I have to agree with the majority that powerbelts with magnum loads really aren't the best choice. BUT, if you do try them that way, make SURE you loosen the sabot cup on the bullet post and add some lube to the post when reassembling it. Large loads tend to push the cup so hard into the bullet that they won't fall off after leaving the barrel and that just destoys any possible accuracy you might have gotten - so do all you can to make sure that cup falls off when it leaves the muzzle.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I printed it out and showed it to him - he said to set him up with whatever would work best at 100 yds and under. I just came back from the range. Sited his and his son's Omegas in with 300 gr XTP and 75 gr (wgt) of BH209. Clovers with his rifle and his son's has a rough bore so got 2.5" with it and called it a day. Ordered a 100 vials from Lane and will weigh out a can of BH209 for them and turn them loose. Great to have a group like this to turn to in order to establish consensus. :D
Now back out to mty treestand for an appointment with a buck...

Back